Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 11:48 AM

Default Re: An Interesting Conversation

[ QUOTE ]
I like to be as optimistic as the next guy, but it's hard when people in real high places are too confident.

This article is from February, but thinking much has changed is just wishful thinking.

Chances of legislation being overturned = "no chance in hell" according to the American Gaming Association.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/st...566626844.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Ack! This is terrible journalism. This reads like a soap opera gossip column.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
we may be able to play the freedom card

Did he actually use the phrase "the freedom card" or is that your way of recounting the conversation?

[/ QUOTE ]

He used the term card, I wasn't sure if he was trying to make a pun or not, but I kinda just ignored it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then its typical Republicrat thinking. Another reason not to trust anyone on either side of the aisle.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Did he actually use the phrase "the freedom card" or is that your way of recounting the conversation?

[/ QUOTE ]

He used the term card, I wasn't sure if he was trying to make a pun or not, but I kinda just ignored it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then its typical Republicrat thinking. Another reason not to trust anyone on either side of the aisle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does not compute..."Play the card" is pretty standard parlance for "make the argument" or "advance the position"
Old 08-21-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like to be as optimistic as the next guy, but it's hard when people in real high places are too confident.

This article is from February, but thinking much has changed is just wishful thinking.

Chances of legislation being overturned = "no chance in hell" according to the American Gaming Association.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/st...566626844.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Ack! This is terrible journalism. This reads like a soap opera gossip column.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. It's the Las Vegas Sun, the junior paper is a town where journalism is a very low priority.

2. It's not an article, it's a column, which means it isn't subject to the same criteria as hard news.

3. If Frank J. Fahrenkopf, president and CEO of the American Gaming Association, is quoted as saying, "No chance in hell," I don't think it matters whether the quote appeared in a gossipy column from a rag paper. If he said it, he said it. The big question is, "What is the AGA's position towards online gaming?" Because maybe he's just spinning.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:02 PM

I think when the boomers bankrupt this country through Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security, every politician in America will gleefully embrace any source of revenue -- even morally baseless, addictive forms of child exploitation and terrorist financing (e.g., "online poker").

And let's not forget that we'll be starting that economic nightmare on the wrong foot: $1 trillion wasted on a pointless war, which continues to cost us $200 million every day.

This country needs money. A lot of it. Fast.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:42 PM

Here's the two of the top three results for a Google search of "AGA" and "online gaming:"

A 2003 article stating the AGA opposes Kyl's bill (probably not a newsflash for this forum).

A 2006 study by the AGA states that "the typical U.S. Internet gambler is under 40, is college-educated or has post-high school education of some sort, is male and is generally more affluent than his fellow citizens."
Old 08-22-2007, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3)There are never stories of people turning their lives around by finding online poker and picking their life up financially. Opera would most likely not invite any of these people on her show even if there were...

[/ QUOTE ]

Online poker turned my life around (more from the affiliate side of things than actually playing, but still).

Call her up. Tell her my wife loves the show!
Old 08-22-2007, 10:58 AM

What is the AGA's position in relation to online gaming and live gaming? Is it largely representative of the live gaming establishment? The live gaming establishment is nearly as opposed to online gaming as the religious right. They view it as direct competition. Perhaps Frank J. Fahrenkopf is attempting to not only convince the public but convince himself by repeating the mantra of the party over and over again as often as possible.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does not compute..."Play the card" is pretty standard parlance for "make the argument" or "advance the position"

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you're correct if you believe that government is our master rather than our servant.