Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2006, 01:33 PM

Default Test your hand-reading ability...

This hand comes from a $22 rebuy on Pokerstars. About a third of the field remains, you have T20,000, which is about average. Button has T16,800. Blinds are 300/600. No reads on button --- Hero is new to table, and has never played against the button player before.

UTG, hero raises to 1600 (I am intentionally not revealing hero's cards), all fold except the button. The flop comes KT4 rainbow. Hero bets 2400, button minraises to 4800.

What hands do you think button does this with? As hero, with which hands would you 1) raise all-in, 2) flat call?
Old 09-07-2006, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Test your hand-reading ability...

i would never flat call here. With anything. Im raising all in with AK KT K4 44 TT KK and AA. KQ maybe, but without reads I fold this.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:22 PM

Opponent's range is still very wide. It could be as strong as a set of Ts or 4s or TPTK. It could be a marginal TP (like K9) or middle pair (like JT or 88). It could be medium- or weak draws, like QJ.

If I was Hero and had top- or middle-set, I'd just call. With bottom set, TPTK, or OESD (which you shouldn't have here, IMO) I'd push. Anything else, I'll fold.

I suck at MTTs, by the way.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:29 PM

First of all, I'm raising UTG at a new table w/ JJ+, AQs+, AKo (sometimes even tighter)

I'm flat calling a set and c/r any turn, I'm pushing AK, and AA and folding JJ-QQ & AQ, I wouldn't be in the hand w/ anything else.

With the tight range of hands I give myself I pretty much don't care what villain has.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:55 PM

Hero is making a very small raise (especially considering antes) into the field from UTG. If I think Hero is any good, I usually expect this to be a pretty strong hand. Let's say JJ to AK. Button's range can potentially be quite wide here because it's avery small raise.

Hero bets about half pot on a KTx board, rainbow. JJ and QQ are hurting, but everything else in hero's range looks quite good. I think it's plausible that hero can bet any of these hands here, so I'm not narrowing his range yet. Button's minraise is a little strange. I tend to think that a set isn't pulling that reraise here, usually either calling and waiting for hero to fire again (since QJ isn't likely from hero) or raising harder. KT seems possible, as does AK, and hands like 99, JJ or QQ that view this as a standard c-bet and are trying to find out if they are good. QJ is pretty unlikely, but I guess possible; I would expect QJ to flat call or push to try and take it down now here.

Of all these hands, QJ is the only one that's going to be drawing to beat us when we're ahead with more than a couple of outs. So I think I'm calling with anything that I decide to play on with, and folding otherwise. I will check any turn after this. Given the original stipulated range for UTG, the hands I'm playing on with: KK, TT, AA, AK, occasionally QQ. With the rest of these I'm likely to c/r the turn if he makes a decent sized turn bet, since then he's pot committed (and more likely to check behind on the river) with the exception of QQ, which I'll fold to turn action when I do call with it on the flop. If he checks behind on turn I lead river.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:56 PM

Button has Ax with backdoor F draw, or PP between T and 4.

Flat Call hands: KK, TT, 44, AK, KT (also possible All-in hands)

I can't image a Flat Call with say QQ, JJ or even AQ

Edit, I spazed and didn't see the "UTG"
Old 09-07-2006, 04:09 PM

Hero is UTG, learn to read FZ.

My range UTG at a new table is fairly tight normally but not always. If I'm feeling a little froggy and have been LAGing it up a bit, I'll raise T9s+ and TT+, limping 44-99. If I'm tighty at the moment, Limp QJs-AJs and 66-99, raising TT+, and AQs+.

I push QJ to the minraise, flat call with AJ,AQ,AK,QQ,JJ KK,TT and shove 44 and AA. I shove 44 because it is more vulnerable than TT and KK. I push my draw (obv) and AA because I am WA with AA more often than not here and QJ since its the best way to get the nut str8 paid off (IMO).
Looking more to trap with KK and TT but I'll shove these a lot too and I like the lead out with a set at a new table. Flat calling with everything else because of my draws or I just dont believe button has the K when i am holding QQ/JJ.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:22 PM

Villain: AK, QJ, QQ, JJ, TT, 44, air...

Hero - flat call with : KK, TT, 44, AK
Raise all-in : QJ, KT...

I'm not good at this [censored], obv...
Old 09-07-2006, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im raising all in with AK KT K4 44 TT KK and AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? KK should be trying to get AS MANY of opponents chips in the pot as possible, same for most other hands. Pushing opponent out of the pot when you flop a monster is NOT a winning strategy.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:52 PM

Ok, now I will tell you hero's hole cards: they are 98 of diamonds, with the ten of diamonds on the board.

Do you bluff all-in after villian's minraise? Is that an awful play?