Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2006, 04:32 PM

Default Re: So you want to play LAG?

Yeah.. but if you do it 2 times, he'll realize it and have a huge edge on you.

And besides, we play against bad players. Against bad players, use position to your advantage because they undervalue it.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:35 PM

And playing LAG doesnt limit you to just raising marginal hands in or out of position. LAG play includes CALLING more in late position as well as gambling more with draws, etc.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:44 PM

I've been thinking this too. I hope some of the more experienced players can chime in and explain why we're wrong. Everything I've read (books, 2+2, etc.) says acting last is generally a very large advantage, but so far I just haven't been able to see how that's the case in most post-flop situations. I'm pretty sure it is the case, but feel like I won't be able to take advantage of it until I understand why.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:48 PM

I think one of the key factors you need while in position is control of the pot. Dont let your opponents run over you with every continuation bet. Floating becomes much more important as does reraising hands in position preflop gaining control of the hand.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:53 PM

Any specific advice on how to do this? I find that against a good, aggressive player (let's say someone who cbets 60-70% of the time on the flop) as often as not when I reraise their cbet they've got the goods. And when they do I lose more chips than I gain when they fold to my raise. I rarely check-raise, but I've actually found check-raising OOP to be more effectively than raising in position.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:59 PM

I have found that c-bet out of position is great for winning small pots, but that getting good value for your medium strength hands, making good bluffs (in other words, those that require more than simply betting into a miffed flop), and building huge pots with monsters is very difficult OOP.

And in fact, the c-bet in position is often superior to the c-bet OOP because if you are check raised you can easily let go of any notions that you can outplay your opponent in the hand (he's too strong).
Old 07-27-2006, 05:02 PM

You "float" in-position. That is, you call his flop bet and see what he does on the turn. Most players will not fire two barrels without something (or if they do, the second barrel is a small one). If they check on the turn, you can either bet or take a free card. You can actually float a lot of flops in-position.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:27 PM

Another word about "floating", make sure you know your opponent. There are some who will sense weakness and always fire a second barrel. Of course, you still want to play with position on these opponents because then you can call the flops you hit and let them build the pot for you.

I tend to float my weaker draws (like an inside straight to the nuts) because then I have two ways of winning- I can bet into the turn if he checks, or I can catch a miracle card and stack my opponent when he really has a hand. Of course, in the rare instace that the latter happens you often get some choice words for drawing to four outs!