Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2006, 12:56 PM

Default shortstacked, push with 77?

Stars 180 person SNG 20+2, down to about 1200 due to a severe lack of cards. Table is not overly tight or loose, but reasonably aggressive with most players coming in with a raise. Blinds are 50/100 guy with large stack raises to 400 in MP and another MP large stack just calls, I'm right after with 77. My image is squeaky tight assuming they've been paying attention. Is this an autopush?
Old 03-15-2006, 01:03 PM

Default Re: shortstacked, push with 77?

Fold. You have no FE an could be dominated. If you have 2000, then you could push. Even then, you need a read to push with 77.

This is a case of not being able to muck a decent hand that serves you no purpose.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:13 PM

Fold, you still have 12xbb. You can definitely find a better spot than this, preferably one where you are first in.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:25 PM

Let's see.

You get all your stuff in there on a small pair with a raise and cold call on your right and 4 or 5 players yet to act on your left.
Or ...
You risk 1/3 of your stack on a small pair with a raise and cold call on your right and 4 or 5 players yet to act on your left.

Hmmm ... sounds sorta contrary to squeaky tight?

IMHO, this is a raise-fold decision, not a call decision. If you call and another player yet to act reraises, then you are pot-comitted with a dog or you make dead money out of 1/3 of your stack.

If you raise then you almost have to push. If you push, the only way this situation is worthwhile, is if you also get a couple of the late position players to join in, and also the original raiser and cold caller.

In this kind of situation, you typically only win IF you make a set AND your set holds up.

That said, I'm probably dropping these sevens like they are hot rocks.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:28 PM

HOH2 states that low pocket pairs lose their value in playing for set value when you are in the orange zone.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:35 PM

I fold this one, here's why:
The raise indicates some strength most of the time, Gap concept usually applies (caller has/should have a hand), assuming some decent sort of play, you stated table seemed reasonable. You might be a coinflip at best, or easily dominated by an overpair.
Pushing, will give approximately 3 to 1 odds if my math is OK to the raiser and caller, so expect to be called most of the time.
You have a decent hand but not great, and you are not desperate yet.
Regards,
Carl
Old 03-15-2006, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HOH2 states that low pocket pairs lose their value in playing for set value when you are in the orange zone.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yet another reason to fold and find a better spot.
Regards,
Carl
Old 03-15-2006, 01:51 PM

Yah, let this go. If you were a LOT shorter you could make the argument for calling and hoping to triple up, but you've still got time to play. Moreover, with two people in a raised pot your FE is sitting on zero enjoying a cup of coffee.

I would rather fold this and push any two the next time I'm on the button or in the SB.

I do wonder where we draw the line, because obviously we are pushing some hands. AK, AA-KK, to be sure. QQ, I think as well. JJ? TT? AQ? Just thinking aloud here...
Old 03-15-2006, 02:01 PM

i would say that any hand above 99 and the push is mandatory and obvious. 77 might be dicey, but i thought my tight image might have made it OK. Seriously hadn't played a hand in soooo long. Not even able to steal a blind since most pots were already raised ahead of me. My fold equity is low but not zero, as the first raiser has to worry that the cold caller (who has almost as many chips as he does) might have a hand. If the first raiser has a hand he almost has to push to get the cold caller out. If he does push, if nothing else it most likely will create a bunch of dead money in the pot if the cold caller has something like 99 and then hopefully i'm against AK or AQs and not a higher pair. If he does have a higher pair, it's a drag but at least i get to see all 5 cards.

The move might be wrong, but there are many scenarios where i end up heads up against two overs with a bunch of dead money in there.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:11 PM

Well yes, the play is obviously contrary to squeaky tight, but what I was saying is that my image was squeaky tight. If someone doesn't play a hand for three rounds, his image is going to be pretty tight and people who are paying attention are going to try not to give action.