Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2006, 04:23 PM

Default I am donkey, hear me hee haw...

Hero is SB in Stars 180 SNG. Have about 2,800 chips, villain has maybe 1,100, blinds 50/100.

Hero dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain limps UTG2 (had been limping a lot), folds to hero who calls, BB checks.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets 150, BB folds, Villain raises to 500, I think forever and know I should fold but call anyway.

Turn: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero checks, Villain goes all in, I think forever and know I should fold but call anyway.

Villain has KJ and I don't improve.

I am the greatest poker player ever.

- C -

<punishing self posting this pathetic hand will force me to play other hands more perfectly>
Old 03-15-2006, 04:25 PM

Default Re: I am donkey, hear me hee haw...

haha
Old 03-15-2006, 04:27 PM

Does this go in BBV because you're clearly bragging about how much of a donkey you are? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2006, 04:38 PM

whats your Stars screen name?
Old 03-15-2006, 05:06 PM

wow
Old 03-15-2006, 05:20 PM

This should go in Psychology, where it would be interesting to discuss what it is (for poker players) to "know" something.

Obviously your "knowledge" that you don't have the odds to call (or that you should semi-bluff rather than calling) is not operational knowledge.

Maybe the part of you that "learn" poker by studying is not the part of you that's actually playing poker.

Spanking, whipping or publicly humiliating yourself as you do with this post is probably not going to help you operationalize these considerations.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 03-15-2006, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This should go in Psychology, where it would be interesting to discuss what it is (for poker players) to "know" something.

Obviously your "knowledge" that you don't have the odds to call (or that you should semi-bluff rather than calling) is not operational knowledge.

Maybe the part of you that "learn" poker by studying is not the part of you that's actually playing poker.

Spanking, whipping or publicly humiliating yourself as you do with this post is probably not going to help you operationalize these considerations.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)

[/ QUOTE ]

more importantly, what is your screen name psuasskicker?
Old 03-15-2006, 05:23 PM

I'm psuasskicker on Stars...it's tough to miss me when you're on with me. But I rarely play on Stars. Literally the only thing I play on Stars is the (very) occasional 180 SNG, and a monthly private tourney. I play almost fully on Party, and my screen name is not psuasskicker there, and no I will not give it out. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

What's annoying is, I know the right move in these things, and sometimes I just talk myself into doing the wrong move. I had done very well working up to 2,800 chips - right around average stack at the time - while getting dealt pretty much garbage the whole time. Unimproved AK and AQ, picked up a couple pots that kept me above the blinds, and one hand where I busted a short stack after I reraised a LAG with TT in LP and the BB (short stack) went all in with KQ and didn't catch up (LAG folded). But there were two hands that were very much like this one that I posted that I completely avoided and didn't piss away chips like I did in this one.

The side story from this is that the very next hand, down to 1,700 chips, I ran into a guy with 1,800 chips that opened, I moved all in with KK, he called with 77 and flopped 678, IGHN.

I guess if there was a serious question in all this...

Does anyone tend to do the same thing? i.e. You know what the right move is, you just don't do it. And how do you break that? Over the last two years or so I've gone from doing this pretty regularly, to only doing it every once in a while. I rarely do something stupid like this anymore. Mostly because I get so goddamned pissed at myself when I do it. Like this hand. This is shamefully pathetic. But then after a couple days/weeks, I forget about these hands, and I wind up making the same mistake.

How do you not forget? Or at least condition yourself to always do it?

Loaded question, I know...

- C -
Old 03-15-2006, 05:26 PM

It just comes down to knowing what the risk is. Am i really going to risk my whole stack or 1/2 my stack on 2nd pair? Hell, I'm not even going to do that with top pair. Sometimes you just have to believe them. If they bluffed you, then hooray for them. You don't have to win every pot you are in.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:28 PM

Yeah I know. It irritates me that I know that and that I even need to hear it, but it helps to hear it cause it just engrains it further. Basically, each time it happens, it's a little longer till the next time it happens.

Eventually maybe I'll stop it completely...

- C -