Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 03:38 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.
Default Re: Comment from my born again Christian Aunt

I don't understand why anyone would even begin to give that person the benefit of doubt. 2 things are appropriate:

a) immediately punching them in the face.
b) shaming them and making sure they are 100% aware they are never welcome anywhere near my family again.

fwiw. if shes judging or not is completely irrelevant to me. She has just shown all of us that she has no compassion/basic judgement skills. So yeah, stay away from my family forever, thx!
Old 11-05-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Judging is complicated Sephus. There is actually more than 1 type of judging.

Here research it for yourself. There are multiple articles.

http://www.rbc.net/search.aspx?term=judging

This one might particularly help you to understand the distinctions between types of judging:

http://www.rbc.org/odb/odb-02-24-06.shtml

[/ QUOTE ]

So when I come in your best friend's funeral and say it is a shame he/she will rot in jahannam because he/she was a Christian, its ok?
Old 11-05-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why anyone would even begin to give that person the benefit of doubt. 2 things are appropriate:

b) shaming them and making sure they are 100% aware they are never welcome anywhere near my family again.

fwiw. if shes judging or not is completely irrelevant to me. She has just shown all of us that she has no compassion/basic judgement skills. So yeah, stay away from my family forever, thx!

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess blood isn't thicker than water afterall. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. ( other than getting violent with them).
A person that strung out on herself and so insensitive to others is very -EV to have around loved ones.

luckyme
Old 11-05-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess blood isn't thicker than water afterall. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to me. I share allot of DNA with some people, and none with others. The list of people I take a bullet for includes some of the latter, and excludes some of the former.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Judging is complicated Sephus. There is actually more than 1 type of judging.

Here research it for yourself. There are multiple articles.

http://www.rbc.net/search.aspx?term=judging

This one might particularly help you to understand the distinctions between types of judging:

http://www.rbc.org/odb/odb-02-24-06.shtml

[/ QUOTE ]

do you not understand that making distinctions between different sorts of judging only makes your position that "she was wrong because she was judging" harder to defend?

it has zero bearing on my position that she wasn't judging. you can take all the current different types of judging and split them into as many subgroups as you like, and nothing that wasn't already judging will become so.

if you believe that being specific about which type of judging you think she was doing will help us see that she was in fact judging, it's your job to make those distinctions.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sephus and Vhawk01 if it pleases you both to be deliberately obtuse then be my guest. But she couldn't see into his heart and know every secret moment of his life, could she? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

you never defended this comment when it was challenged.

how does not knowing every secret moment of his life make it judging?
Old 11-05-2007, 05:06 PM

I think it's a shame that Splendour and Brad1970 will be burning in hell when they die.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Recently my uncle had his best friend die suddenly in a car crash. Obviously this was very hard on him to cope with but he got through it. On the day after his friend died my aunt, his sister, was expressing her condolences when afterwords she states that it is too bad that he is gong to hell.

My uncle has been raised a christian is whole life and would never be best friends with anyone of questionable character.

Does a true christian accept what she says and not defend their deceased friend or do you become outraged at her remark?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the guy who died was an atheist & was proud of the fact that he was hell bound. If that's the case, then the aunt was only stating the truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

So she was not out of line at all? Jesus would approve of her actions in this instance?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you didn't tell us much about the guy who died, we have to assume that he wasn't Christian. The aunt was simply stating the truth as she knew it. I'm not defending her one way or the other...she's just stating fact. I agree that she could have been a little nicer about it without being blunt.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of people believe a lot of wacky things. Some people believe that black people are inherently evil and carry the mark of Cain. Do you think it's ok for them to verbalize these beliefs in all situations?

Here's a more analogous situation. Would it be ok for me to go to the funeral of a family member and tell those in attendance that they're wrong about the deceased being in heaven? The truth as I know it is that there is no heaven, but of course I'd never actually tell grieving people that.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But my friend didn't wish to lose her faith when her daughter committed suicide and her life long Lutheren minister refused to preside at the final services on account of the deceased going to hell. Rather than give up Christianity , she decided to choose a less nutty version.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when is Catholicism ever the less nutty version? Your friend signed onto a laundry list of rigid, controversial beliefs when she joined the Catholics.