Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2006, 03:22 PM

Default 0.50/1 Non-nut flush play

Most of the time playing the A-small suited hands is easy - you either get a flush draw and play it aggressively or you get out. But what about when you're drawing to or have got a flush that's not that nuts? I can't help thinking I've made a balls-up of every one of my bets. In my own mind I had reasons for each of them, but were any of them grounded in sensible poker thinking?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Reads after 30 or so hands: BB has been giving money away (90/18/1) and Button's play has seemed fairly loose-passive (27/4/1.5).

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

I get in for cheap when it first comes around; following the raise I reckon there's enough bets in the pot to make it worth another 0.50 to chase a flush.

Flop: (12 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

I've got 6 players in the flop with me so it seems worthwhile to bet since I have a 35% chance for the flush. But then it's raised twice more and now I'm betting only because I've got the pot odds.

Turn: (12 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG folds, Button calls, Hero calls.

So I've hit my flush; BB's raising me and button's calling two. I'd like to raise again but chicken out.

River: (18 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks...

And if I wasn't scared before, I'm very worried once I see the river. Both BB and Button are representing strong hands and if they hadn't already hit a flush, they could still easily hold the required ace or queen.

So, how badly did I play? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2006, 03:27 PM

Default Re: 0.50/1 Non-nut flush play

I would 3-bet the turn, neither of your opponents played the flop like a flush draw at all. My answer might change if BB wasn't an idiot but probably not. As played, plan on donk-calling the river if it isn't a spade, but since the 4th spade came out checking is probably OK because you have an easy fold if it's 2 bets back to you.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:28 PM

3-bet the turn. It might be a spew, but I bet call the river.

Edit: I also like TheMainEvent's line. I also hate the fourth spade on the river.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:35 PM

On the flop, I think I would rather check/raise since the bet is likely to come from the BB on your immediate left. Betting out gives BB a chance to raise and blow away the field. Check/raising is a better way to build this pot.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:36 PM

3 bet the turn and see what happens. im putting BB on a over pair or a set. which shouldnt be a worry to you because you can beat all of the above unless he has pocket q's or a's with the spade in hand. however i need to 3 bet this turn and let him know i have him beat at this point. unless has aqs or a10s (only drawing hands that beat u on the turn that i can see him raising with perhaps a9s)either way i 3 bet the turn and if he caps i check call
Old 02-21-2006, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the flop, I think I would rather check/raise since the bet is likely to come from the BB on your immediate left. Betting out gives BB a chance to raise and blow away the field. Check/raising is a better way to build this pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes very good point you really don't want to get isolated here as you have virtually no chance of winning the pot without hitting a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Old 02-21-2006, 03:53 PM

checkraise the flop (provided at least 2 others call BB's lead). leading here is terrible as you likely face the field with 2 cold and lose customers (no need to clear J outs as you aint winning this with TPNK).

turn is even worse tho. if your gonna lead you HAVE to 3bet, noone has shown they have a flush.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:55 PM

Flop: Good spot for a check-raise. BB will likely bet and you can trap more of the field to build a nice pot.
Turn: I like a 3-bet here, because you are often ahead, but I would feel a bit sick if it was capped. So, 3-bet for value and also see where you stand.
River: Check seems good, and I'd call but not overcall for 1 bet.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: Good spot for a check-raise. BB will likely bet and you can trap more of the field to build a nice pot.
Turn: I like a 3-bet here, because you are often ahead, but I would feel a bit sick if it was capped. So, 3-bet for value and also see where you stand.
River: Check seems good, and I'd call but not overcall for 1 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I check the river the only thing that's getting me to fold is the button waking up and betting/raising. The only card button can have to call BB's bet and beat us is the Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2006, 04:09 PM

I think preflop is fine, 3 limpers ahead of you see a flop with the suited cards.
Flop, I wouldn't bet this with the preflop raiser next to act. Check this looking to raise BB when it comes back to you. If it was reraised I may just call as I don't want to nock anyone out.
Turn, this probably plays a little different based on flop, but I lead here. To much possiblity that it could get checked through. I reraise the turn.
River, that sucks. I'm probably to weak but I check/call. If it is two back to me I would wan't to fold but with buttons play I think he may have a set more than a flush. Not sure about BB, QQ with a spade? KK no spade? AA with A of spade?