Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 10:32 AM

Default Re: OT: I quit

good luck. I hope you still will visit STTF occassionall.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:32 AM

sucks dude, I am sorry to see you go. I really hope that EVERYTHING in your life works out and I know you will find happiness in something. This could be a blessing in disguise, you could start the next big computer company. You could write the next great American novel. You have alot of talent and its a shame to see you put all your effort into something that makes you miserable. I have faith that you will overcome and come out better than before.

Anyway peace and good luck it was a pleasure posting with you.

Alex
Old 02-12-2007, 11:20 AM

gl dude

Yugoslav
Old 02-12-2007, 11:59 AM

Best of luck to you Pineapple.

To be honest it doesn't surprise me very much. Your posts recently have been a little bit on the skeptical side towards online poker.

However, you care about the game a lot and I suspect to see you back sooner than later (hopefully)

Until then, have fun!

- Kev
Old 02-12-2007, 12:02 PM

GL in everything you do Pineapple
Old 02-12-2007, 12:13 PM

PA,

First off, I want to wish you the best of luck in whatever you pursue post-poker.

I do want to say, if not for you then for others that read this thread, that statements such as

[ QUOTE ]
The bottom line is, that somebody has to be on the a$$ end of the bell curve, and it just so happens to be me.

[/ QUOTE ]

are really detrimental to improving yourself as a poker player. And having a similar attitude towards other things in live will be just as detrimental to development.

If you are showing poor results over a large sample, it may be necessary to just humbly admit that you have a lot of room for improvement and then actively try to improve. At the very least, that will be much more productive than not trying to improve and blaming your shortcomings on blind luck. Who knows, maybe this bell curve of luck does exist and maybe you are in fact on the ass end of it, but it might be possible to improve your ROI by a couple of points anyway just from playing better.

I know that probably isn't what you want to hear right now and I hope you don't take it as some sort of personal attack. But I think very very very few people's games have reached a point where they can no longer improve (my game certainly hasn't) so as poker players, we really should focus just on improving, as any time and energy we spend focusing on things that are out of our control (that 2 outer that hit, this series of 2 outers that hit, etc.) will ultimately just take away time and energy that could be better spent by attempting to better ourselves as players.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry you feel that way, pineapple. I've always enjoyed your posts.

A hearty thanks for everything you've contributed to this forum. And don't be too bullheaded and proud to come back if you feel differently in a couple of weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, dude. I may not quit poker completely. I can still try live play here in Vegas, or at the Commerce or wherever.

But Internet poker has killed my spirit, my health, and my bankroll. That, combined with the uncertainties around getting your money in and out, and that it's outright illegal here in Nevada, makes it pukeworthy at the moment. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Internet poker has killed my spirit, my health, and my bankroll."

Dude, you can't blame a game for these things. You have take responsability and make some major changes.

All the best with whatever you choose to do.

Keep on rockin' in the free world.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PA,

First off, I want to wish you the best of luck in whatever you pursue post-poker.

I do want to say, if not for you then for others that read this thread, that statements such as

[ QUOTE ]
The bottom line is, that somebody has to be on the a$$ end of the bell curve, and it just so happens to be me.

[/ QUOTE ]

are really detrimental to improving yourself as a poker player. And having a similar attitude towards other things in live will be just as detrimental to development.

If you are showing poor results over a large sample, it may be necessary to just humbly admit that you have a lot of room for improvement and then actively try to improve. At the very least, that will be much more productive than not trying to improve and blaming your shortcomings on blind luck. Who knows, maybe this bell curve of luck does exist and maybe you are in fact on the ass end of it, but it might be possible to improve your ROI by a couple of points anyway just from playing better.

I know that probably isn't what you want to hear right now and I hope you don't take it as some sort of personal attack. But I think very very very few people's games have reached a point where they can no longer improve (my game certainly hasn't) so as poker players, we really should focus just on improving, as any time and energy we spend focusing on things that are out of our control (that 2 outer that hit, this series of 2 outers that hit, etc.) will ultimately just take away time and energy that could be better spent by attempting to better ourselves as players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted to post something like the above but wiggs did a way better job then I possibly could have.

In addition I want to say as much as you hate eagles, pudge and bigt, the effort they all put into learning the game and improving is pretty outstanding. They all use the tools avaliable to them such as 2p2 when they began playing and later aim/phone/face to face convos to really study the game and improve their abilities and they do so relentlessly (as I know since I get about 10 pms and 2 phone cals from my brothers every day about HH's and Todd puts more effot into the detalis in his game then almost anyone I know).

Since your quitting I guess this doesn't make a huge difference to you but if you do decide to come back I suggest you really open your mind and take advice from people who know more then you.

That being said good luck in whatever you do.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:29 PM

I have debated whether or not I should post in this thread.
Even if you don't read this because I'm on ignore this is all I will say.
1. There is some very very good advice in this thread especially from Wiggs, Clockwyze and Inyaface.
2. I wish you the best in luck in whatever you do, you seem like a decent bright guy, but poker just isn't right for you.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who knows, maybe this bell curve of luck does exist and maybe you are in fact on the ass end of it, but it might be possible to improve your ROI by a couple of points anyway just from playing better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there has to be some solid players on the good and bad luck fringes of the bell curve. For instance, according to Sklanski (as quoted by Mark Blade) a proven 100% ROI tournament player, playing tournaments that average 200 players and paying the standard 10% payout, has a 5% chance of being break-even after 160 tournaments. A proven 50% ROI player has a 6% chance of being breakeven after 1000 tournaments. (I don’t have the book in front of me and I’m quoting off the top of my head so the numbers might be slightly off but they’re close.)

So somewhere out there 6% of tournament players good enough to expect to earn 50% ROI in the long term are probably having a really difficult time understanding if they suck or if they’re just really unlucky. This doesn’t detract at all from your message that every single player can learn and improve their game and they would be better served trying to do this than focusing on how unlucky they are.

One of the famous poker authors said the thing that separates a good earner from a great earner is the great earner loses less during their downswings. Wiggs, I think moving forward with your attitude to keep striving to learn and plug leaks will help anyone lose less when they’re running bad.