Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2006, 10:59 AM

Default 1/2 Getting Max Value

1/2 5 handed
Lots of steal raising has been going on because the table has been in flux for several orbits. My read on villian is that he is decent and has a hand that he wants to take to a showdown. I can't completely discount the fact that he may be semi-bluffing some sort of draw, but since he is shutting the BB out, I lean toward believing he has a made hand. How do you play this?

Hero is CO w/ A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Preflop:
Hero open raises, Button calls, BB calls.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB checks, Hero bets, Button raises, BB folds, Hero?
Old 04-05-2006, 11:13 AM

Default Re: 1/2 Getting Max Value

3 bet.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:17 AM

Throw money into this pot now!! Hurry before the 3rd spade/J/T/Q/K hits and kiils your action if not your hand.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:15 PM

I have some questions/thoughts about this type of hand. I belive play these situations to passivly and would like some further input...

We raised preflop and lead again on an A high board. Without a little better read it is a little tough to guess but here are my thoughts, I seems that villian may raise with a hand that beats TPTK (2 pair most likely), a weaker Ace or possibly a flush draw, though this drives out the BB and would mean he called 2 cold with a hand like KJs or KTs which would seem to discount the flush draw a bit (depends on how loose/tight he is preflop) or in this case maybe villian is trying to steal (seems like a bad board for it though). It seems to me that that if we are behind we probably aren't folding without putting in enough to get to showdown anyhow, if we are ahead 3-betting will likely let villian know he is behind, though he may still call down and we are out of possition and subject to a check behind if villian gets nervous anyhow.

If we 3-bet:
If he caps the flop what is out plan? Fold turn UI?
If he calls and raised turn?

What about a call on flop and donk turn? Not sure what a raise here means.

In this case OP said there was a lot of stealing going on, what about when stealing is less prevelent?
Old 04-05-2006, 03:28 PM

I try to C/R the turn in this spot more than I should. If the C/R whiffs just 25% of the time we are better off 3 betting.

The turn C/R shows a lot more strength than a flop 3 bet to most people too. Even at 1/2 there are people who will fold the turn or river to your C/R when they would have called down vs. a 3 bet, which actually costs you money.

no1spec

If we 3 bet and he shows more aggression, I don't think folding somewhere would be a bad option depending on his aggression, but I would probably want to see a showdown if he capped the flop. The turn raise seems to mean more strength than the flop cap.

If another spade fell I would be pushed towards folding.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If we 3-bet:
If he caps the flop what is out plan? Fold turn UI?

[/ QUOTE ]
As long as I don't have a great read on villian and the board doesn't change a whole lot, I still lead the turn even if villian caps the flop. If he continues to show strength, I go into call down mode.

[ QUOTE ]
If he calls and raised turn?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is usually a better indication of strength than flop action. I probably just call down from here.

[ QUOTE ]
What about a call on flop and donk turn?

[/ QUOTE ]
I usually don't take this line, so I'm not sure how I feel about it.

[ QUOTE ]
In this case OP said there was a lot of stealing going on, what about when stealing is less prevelent

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming you mean if the table was more passive, how do you play this hand out. If villian is ultra passive and gets into a raising war with me on the flop, then I definitely slow down. I'm not sure I could find a fold though.

In the hand, I did 3-bet the flop and villian just called down every street from there. I was interested to see if anyone thought this was a hand that we could get cute with, but with the 2 flush and 2 broadway cards and the possibility that a check-raise attempt on the turn could backfire, I agree that getting the bets in now is best.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:49 PM

Three bet. He's raising this with any ace most of the time especially if everyone has been stealing. You should only consider the spector of two pair or a set if he caps.