Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 07:51 PM

Default Re: X-Post from NVG: WCOOP ME champion is play2kill (Multi-Accounting)

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I LOVE these threads. We just need Shaniac to liven things up. He is like Nath, if Nath was eloquent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't really see this thread until now.

What can I say? It sucks and [censored] the world.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with this, though I think it takes years of discipline and a fairly strong philosophical regimen before you get to the point where walking in the park is sweeter than hitting the strip club.

[/ QUOTE ]
I dunno; I'm twenty-six and nobody has ever called me "disciplined". Maybe I'm just special, or maybe I learned a whole whole lot in a very short period of time.

[ QUOTE ]
The promises associated with making a lot of money is a remedial tool for those who can't figure out how to be happy without a myriad of intense, short-term pleasures.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes! This is an important point to remember. False happiness is the great sell of the material world.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:15 PM

as long as we're taking this thread completely offtrack:

nath, serious question:
you can be perfectly happy without money
playing poker clearly makes you miserable
why do you play poker at all?
Old 10-04-2007, 08:27 PM

ok, so my final fantasy analogy sucked, and I apologize to those serious players who took offense. However, putting that much money in the center of a young, highly intelligent, and a fairly antisocial set of people will lead to some serious ethical problems. And it's not like poker sites aren't fully aware that those very problems are born from certain personality traits that make them so much money in rake.

And, Bakes, I'm talking about long term EV. Do you really think 5 years from now that you're EV is going to be drastically affected by a number of tournaments with multiaccounters? If so, I apologize on that front too.

Barry
Old 10-04-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it takes years of discipline and a fairly strong philosophical regimen before you get to the point where walking in the park is sweeter than hitting the strip club

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, it took me one time and one time. Where is gobbomon telling you shouldn't pretend your morals apply to everybody?

[/ QUOTE ]

right here, reading everyone's opinions. I've already gone through enough crap in my life to know that simpler is better, but I don't have a problem observing everyone else in the process of learning this for themselves.
You can impart all the wisdom in the world to somebody, but it really means nothing to them until they experience it for themself.
Thus, Gobbomom's morals may not apply to someone else who is in the process of learning an important life lesson, and formulating their own moral code which works for them.
If it doesn't work for them, they'll find out soon enough for themself: poof, lesson learned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gobbomom might just be my new favourite person. That made so much sense it almost didnt deserve to be in this thread.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:44 PM

aw, that's nice of you to say AC, thanks. I was afraid it came off as a bunch of gibberish.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as long as we're taking this thread completely offtrack:

nath, serious question:
you can be perfectly happy without money
playing poker clearly makes you miserable
why do you play poker at all?

[/ QUOTE ]
1)Because I can still make far more money at it than anything else, and I need to make a living (and yes, I do use the money for things to improve my life-- even if I can be happy without them, it doesn't mean that a few little things, or some traveling, doesn't make my life better)
2)Because poker didn't always make me miserable, and I have some hope that I can recapture the fun I used to have playing
3)Connections and stuff that hopefully leads to business opportunities away from actually playing cards, except that I don't know [censored] about how to market myself in that manner
Old 10-04-2007, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Kinda surprised that Funki would say that re material possessions and self worth; I always thought he was one of the smartest posters on the forum. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and the chance to explain himself, because by that logic I should have just killed myself three years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being broke is a great reason to kill oneself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if your serious or not, but if you are, that is one of the dumbest comments I've read on these forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

You see more bums killing themselves or dying due to self-destructive behavior or billionaires on yachts?

I don't have any stats on me free-hand but I am pretty sure they have a higher suicide rate so apparently then the world would agree with me. If you are broke, you can't do anything you want, and all your resources immediately go to food/shelter (Maslow's heirarchy of needs ftw!) Then you can't enjoy life.

Money makes the world go round and more people have killed and died for money than anything else. Whether or not Nath feels he is above this because he has such supreme ethics doesn't make it not true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stealthmonk,

There is a big difference between not having material wealth and not being able to meet one's basic needs.

I find it hard to imagine a situation in which someone multi-accounts because they have no other means of fulfilling their basic needs. Maslow's hierarchy is only a theory that has little research support (does not make it wrong, of course). Besides, he ( and other humanists like Carl Rogers) actually believed that people would be happiest when they simply accepted themselves. Material goods were not necessary for self-actualization in any of their theories, unless lack of goods directly led to an inability to meet basic needs. You do not need to be a balla to meet your basic needs.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Money makes the world go round and more people have killed and died for money than anything else.

Hate to be nitpicky here but there is no possible way that greed is reponsible for more deaths than organized religion...

[/ QUOTE ]

That exactly what I thought when I first read that.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If I somehow went broke again, like I was last year, I'd definitely kill myself. Being broke is a great reason to kill oneself. People who act like they are completely impervious to the effects having or not having money are 1. lying 2. self-righteous [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

1) 18

[/ QUOTE ]