FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Ultimate Frisbee

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

once you get a game with a bunch of skilled players, the throws won't be just floating around really high.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize that. I have a few friends on college ultimate teams and whatnot. I'm just saying that the floater to the guy with 6 inches on everyone is unstoppable.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're wrong (video link)

[/ QUOTE ]

1. That throw was terrible.
2. Nord still catches it 9 times out of 10.

[/ QUOTE ]
the guy in the red shirt appears to have a 12 inch vertical at best

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, the reason he got skyed was because he did not attack the disc in the air. I assume Nord (the guy in the red shirt) had no respect for the air game of his defender (which I wouldn't either if I had 8 inches of height on a guy.

Also, the throw was not terrible... it was meant to be floaty.

I was at the game watching and saw the play.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

once you get a game with a bunch of skilled players, the throws won't be just floating around really high.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize that. I have a few friends on college ultimate teams and whatnot. I'm just saying that the floater to the guy with 6 inches on everyone is unstoppable.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, the reason he got skyed was because he did not attack the disc in the air. I assume Nord (the guy in the red shirt) had no respect for the air game of his defender (which I wouldn't either if I had 8 inches of height on a guy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't worry guys, Nord's got a few more than 12 inches of vert.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When Nord has his defender beat by that much and you can't make a throw that Nord can catch at his chest, you're not doing your job.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:50 AM

I've been playing ultimate for about 7 years in the co-ed league up here in Winnipeg (big league with around 80 teams). I really enjoy the sport and my game has progressed over the years. I think most beginners start as the guy who goes deep all the time and catches long passes and only makes short throws back to the handlers. As I got better at throws, I started handling more and more and now I pretty much just do that. I also took up disc golf for a bit, but got kind of bored with it, as there is just 1 course out here.

Ultimate is great exercise, and a game that allows for a lot of strategic adjustments based on the team you are playing and what they are doing.

Things I don't like about it, are that the game is not as much fun on a windy day (the wind is a great equalizer and advancing the disc against the wind is difficult). Also, the sport is self-officiated which is not always a problem as there is often a lot of spirited give and take that keeps things fair. However, if there are a few unreasonable people on the field it can be difficult to have a fair game as there is a lot of angle-shooting and arguing that occurs. A couple of unspirited players can really poison the atmosphere at an ultimate game.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The wind is a great equalizer and advancing the disc against the wind is difficult

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on what you mean by equalizer. It rewards organized teams that have good disc skills and tactics.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's basically impossible to cover someone much bigger than you while it is possible for the bigger slower guy to cover the smaller faster guy pretty well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree with this more. In my experiences, speed mismatches get exploited far more often than height mismatches during the run of play.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Tall slow guys tend to be sorta useless unless it's windy (or they can throw really well, e.g. Steve Mooney for those that remember that far back)

[/ QUOTE ]

a friend of mine was covering this old slow guy in a tournament who looked vaguely familiar, and the guy was tooling him, and my friend was getting frustrated that he kept getting beat. then he realized that it was steve mooney and he recognized him from a "how to play ultimate" video.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The wind is a great equalizer and advancing the disc against the wind is difficult

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on what you mean by equalizer. It rewards organized teams that have good disc skills and tactics.

[/ QUOTE ]

if it's really windy the game can basically come down to who won the flip.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

if it's really windy the game can basically come down to who won the flip.

[/ QUOTE ]

True enough. But it's really got to be extreme for no one to manage an upwinder. Of course, play long enough and you're going to have two or three stories like that. Those conditions are awful.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is like the Damien Scott/Beau/Brian Harriford/Eric Lonsdorf/Dan Eisenberg

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, Harriford was sick. I remember having to (try) to guard him in college. It was a joke - he ran by me like I wasn't even there. One of the few players I've ever seen who could dominate even at elite levels because of his athleticism. Is he still playing at all?
Old 08-28-2007, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this is like the Damien Scott/Beau/Brian Harriford/Eric Lonsdorf/Dan Eisenberg

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, Harriford was sick. I remember having to (try) to guard him in college. It was a joke - he ran by me like I wasn't even there. One of the few players I've ever seen who could dominate even at elite levels because of his athleticism. Is he still playing at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

He played open (Houston Houndz - they were real close to being real good, as I think they had him AND Damien for one season) for a few years in the early 2000s, and then a few years for various Southern coed teams (Holes 'n Poles, IIRC), last time I can remember seeing him was Nationals '03 or '04.

Also, turns out that I will be at CHC, anyone else? (I'll be the handler for Poodle Club wearing the Red Sox hat.)