Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 08:03 PM

Default Neighbor dings door, my move? (Second ding, fixed parking spaces).

Backstory: GF and I moved to SF Bay area from Seattle in January, we decide to sell my practical car and buy a 2007 Mazda Miata (MX-5). We keep the GF's practical car, but we now have a nice 'weekend' car. Sweet ride, but impractical. I walk to work, so the Miata sits idle at least 6 days a week.

Our apartment complex has fixed parking spaces, apartment 666 gets parking space 333. About a month after we move in, someone moves into the complex and gets spot 334. This does not mean they have apartment 667. They drive a mid-90s Chevy SUV and the back window has been broken out for 5 months now, so I am sure they do not 'care' about their car.

Story: One month after I bought the car I found a small door ding, only visible from a certain angle and not that visible. Since I had not driving the car in a week, I assumed parking space 334 did it... although it could have happened anywhere else. I am pretty tolerant, bad things happen and I in no way am 100% sure my parking neighbor did this to my car but I suspect they did.

Today I walk out, to find a huge 1 1/2" gash (complete with silver paint to match their silver SUV) on the upper part of my door, right near the handle. It lines up perfectly with the door height of their back door. I am 100% sure their car caused this ding... err gash.

I was pissed off as you could imagine, but still exhausted from only sleeping last night (insomnia). My girlfriend took the appropriate action and wrote in their driver's side window "[censored] OFF".

Here is my situation:

1) I have a high deductible, I keep it high because I am a safe drive and never have to use it. If I do use it, it is probably because my car got totaled.

2) I can not move my parking space, 333 is my assigned space, forever, period.

3) I do not know who these people are who own this car.

What do I do? How do to get paid to fix this gash and how do I prevent these no-talent-ass clowns from scratching/dinging/gashing my car? I know from prior experience with body work, I am looking at $500 - $800 to repair this damage.

Thanks in advance!

Disclaimer: I do not live in apartment 666 nor is my parking space 333... numbers were used for illustrative purposes.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Neighbor dings door, my move? (Second ding, fixed parking spaces).

My girlfriend took the appropriate action and wrote in their driver's side window "[censored] OFF".

Not helpful.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:16 PM

Well, you should've taken photos and gotten a police report. That way you have something to work with when you're trying to negotiate to negotiate money out of your neighbors. But without any proof and the fact that your girlfriend vandalized their property, you don't really have much leverage.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My girlfriend took the appropriate action and wrote in their driver's side window "[censored] OFF".

Not helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the easiest way to fix this problem would be to get them to AGREE to pay, this didn't help. I would try and find out who they are first contact them, state your case, and hope they pay damages. If this doesn't happen I guess you could contact the landlord/police although I don't know what they'll do since you can't prove they did this.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:19 PM

passive aggressiveness

a man in a miata

Berkeley, Ca

thats 3 strikes.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:19 PM

You live in the bay area, drive a miata, and have a girlfriend?
Old 07-15-2007, 08:21 PM

wtf is a practical car?
Old 07-15-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf is a practical car?

[/ QUOTE ]

A miata is impractical because of all the time you waste having to listen to little girls relay the fact that their Barbie drives one just like it.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:27 PM

You are a huge nit. You buy an impractical (your word) car, and drive it one out of 7 days, and go apesh*t when a tiny ding gets in it?

Cars depreciate like crazy, I could give a sh*t if someone dings my car.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are a huge nit. You buy an impractical (your word) car, and drive it one out of 7 days, and go apesh*t when a tiny ding gets in it?

Cars depreciate like crazy, I could give a sh*t if someone dings my car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me be clear on one thing.

I do not car if someone dings my car, it happens. I can not stop this.

I do care when someone forcefully opens their door, causing a 1 1/2" gash in my car leaving a noticeable Chevy SUV silver color on my dark grey car.

And yes, it is impractical.. I choose to buy it so that I could enjoy weekend trips around California and get some much needed Sun that we do not see in Washington. I did not go apesh*t, but I am annoyed that someone would leave such a large gash on my car without any note. If I left a 1 1/2" gash on your car, I would at least leave a note with my contact details on it.