Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2006, 06:47 PM

Default oesfd vs pre flop raiser oop 100NL

5 handed stars .5/1 nl 100 dollar stacks, 5 handed

button open raises to 3.5
I call in sb with KJdd

flop 3d Ts Qd
I check, he bets 6, I raise to 22, he minreraises to 38, I shove, he instacalls with TT and I whiff.

What are some better lines I can use to maximize my payoff when I hit this very strong draw, or did I play it fine? I felt after his min raise I had like zero FE so I'm not quite sure how I shoved... too impulsive I suppose. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:51 PM

Default Re: oesfd vs pre flop raiser oop 100NL

not sure i love the call preflop, id usually repop or fold though im sure calling is ok if you are better than him postflop and he has a decently wide button opening range.

as for tha hand, you cant really call the 38 because you need to see both cards, you played it fine. One thing that i failed to realize when i started pushing draws (including ones much worse than this) is that you will occasionaly miss like 3 in a row and want to kill yourself.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:53 PM

Pushing and OESFD is only profitable if you have fold equity, otherwise it's best in most cases to call especially against opponents who won't slow down with their set even to a board showing a 3-flush.

OESFD is a slight favorite against TPTK (rake wins here) and a dog to 2-pair and a set, so you need to make up for that lost equity in fold equity versus TPTK and 2 pair for shoving on the flop to be profitable.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OESFD is a slight favorite against TPTK (rake wins here) and a dog to 2-pair and a set, so you need to make up for that lost equity in fold equity versus TPTK and 2 pair for shoving on the flop to be profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]
???
Old 09-07-2006, 05:50 AM

Thanks for the responses so far.

If I call on the flop, what lines do you like taking when:
a) i hit my straight
b) i hit my flush
c) i brick
Old 09-07-2006, 07:19 AM

I dont like to call here in SB with KJs either reraise or fold. as for the rest of the hand, what can else can you do? Folding is not an option here.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What are some better lines I can use to maximize my payoff when I hit this very strong draw,

[/ QUOTE ]

I would fold pf and call only for draw value if deep stacked (200BB+)

I think since the board is rainbow, I would lead flop for FE. He would often raise a set and define his hand, at which point you know you can stack him and OOP is perfect for a c/r when you hit. If you hit the turn, c/r, if you miss, then c/c.

JA
Old 09-07-2006, 10:54 AM

I agree on the pf, I fold unless you have a read. A trap hand like KJ is not something I want to play into a pfr who has position on me.

With that said, if you're not comfortable getting it all in with 2 whacks at 15 outs you need to reevaluate how you're playing. I think you love getting it all in on the flop because if the FD hits (and to a lesser degree the SD) your action might die. Worst case scenario is that villian flopped a set and even if you hit one of your outs he could fill his boat on the turn or river.

15 outs is even money (unless he has the set which changes things a little) but with the dead money already in the pot and any FE you might get this, in my mind at least, is absolutely the correct play.

I get it in here every single time.