Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 05:20 PM

Default pocket eights, big pot

10-20 game with a 1/2 kill. This hand is a 1/2 kill, and an older man I have never played with before has to post 15 in middle position. This game has been super loose-passive, with maybe 1 other decent player, 2 weak-tight players, and 5 calling stations.
2 ep players limp, the next player raises (decent, raises alot of his hands preflop, more likely to raise with added dead money from the kill). The kill completes, the next player cold-calls, I have 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the cutoff and call(?). The big blind calls, and we see the flop 7-handed for 2 bets each.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Everyone checks including the preflop raiser to the old guy on the kill who bets, the next player folds, I?
Old 09-20-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Re: pocket eights, big pot

[ QUOTE ]
10-20 game with a 1/2 kill. This hand is a 1/2 kill, and an older man I have never played with before has to post 15 in middle position. This game has been super loose-passive, with maybe 1 other decent player, 2 weak-tight players, and 5 calling stations.
2 ep players limp, the next player raises (decent, raises alot of his hands preflop, more likely to raise with added dead money from the kill). The kill completes, the next player cold-calls, I have 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the cutoff and call(?). The big blind calls, and we see the flop 7-handed for 2 bets each.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Everyone checks including the preflop raiser to the old guy on the kill who bets, the next player folds, I?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise. There is one overcard to your pair and you might both knock out the other players and get a free card. Fold to turn bet if another broadway hits. Check behind if checked to unless you make a set. Call on river. It is a big pot. I think this is the best way to take a shot at it.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise. There is one overcard to your pair and you might both knock out the other players and get a free card. Fold to turn bet if another broadway hits. Check behind if checked to unless you make a set. Call on river. It is a big pot. I think this is the best way to take a shot at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't play it any different than this. The only alterative to this line is folding the flop.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't play it any different than this. The only alterative to this line is cutting off your #2 pencil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't play it any different than this. The only alterative to this line is cutting off your #2 pencil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I don't get it. What am I missing? Damn I hate when I don't get it.

I just meant that calling was not an option.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

LOL. I don't get it. What am I missing? Damn I hate when I don't get it.

I just meant that calling was not an option.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, it sounded like you were saying folding the flop was a secondary possibility. That's not an option.

Anyway, I actually don't agree about checking the turn. Maybe you can get MP to fold TT/99, maybe he has a smaller pair, whatever, I would bet most turns again if checked to (and most people folded the flop) and then check the river unimproved.

Your hand is super-vulnerable to overcards, you may be ahead, you may make other people make a bad mistake, try to win this monstrous pot.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:40 PM

I like a 3-bet pre-flop. On the flop, against a "traditional old guy" you are drawing to 2 outs.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:40 PM

I'd fold this flop.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:54 AM

To be honest I considered all 3 options on the flop, and basically chose the worst one. The pre-flop raiser surprised me by checking, and I was planning to bet thinking there was a good chance I had the best hand. Then the old guy betting out further surprised me, and with the amount of money in the pot I basically decided to call, and fold the turn if I didn't improve and he bet again. (Edit to add) The big blind, one of the EP limpers and the pre-flop raiser all call. We see the turn 5-handed.

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Now everyone checks to me. I have picked up 4 outs, am starting to think my hand is good anyway, and am starting to hate myself for not raising the flop. I bet....
Old 09-21-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like a 3-bet pre-flop. On the flop, against a "traditional old guy" you are drawing to 2 outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Q might be an out... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]