Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 11:00 AM

Default Hourly Rate Calculation ... NLTRN

So I'm making the switch to HUSnGs on FTP and so far its going well ... 75 tournies into it I've got a 13% ROI and I decided to do some money calculations ...

60 mins / 5 mins per match * 2 tabling = 24 matches/hour
$6.25*.14*24 = $21/hour.

I added in an extra 1% from RB. That hourly rate seems a bit high for the micro-stakes I'm playing, is my 5 mins/match too low of a number? Is this ROI sustainable at this level of play? Anybody else care to share their experience with this level?

Thanks in advance! I plan on posting here for a while now =).
Old 08-09-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Hourly Rate Calculation ...

5 min per match is obnoxiously low (I think), im pretty sure 1 tabling Full Tilt will be about 7 matches / hr or so... at micro stakes maybe 10, but tone that way down, I don't play there but thats what I heard
Old 08-09-2007, 01:15 PM

5 min a match even at turbos is very unrealistic
Old 08-09-2007, 01:20 PM

ROI is sustainable but necessarily accurate, 5 minutes a match is way low 8-9 minutes is going to be standard for FT turbos although I have seen people average 6 minute matches but they generally sacrificing ROI.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:07 PM

That makes a lot more sense ... 8 minutes each drops the winrate down to about $13/hr. I was thinking there's no way I could make that much at low stakes =).
Old 08-09-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ROI is sustainable but not necessarily accurate, 5 minutes a match is way low 8-9 minutes is going to be standard for FT turbos although I have seen people average 6 minute matches but they are generally sacrificing ROI.

[/ QUOTE ]
Im off today.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:10 PM

Noted about the ROI not being accurate ... I know I've got to play about 200 before I can get some good confidence on that. And I have noticed that I tend to play too fast with awkward stack sizes (10 - 15BB ... see my forum post), thus ending matches early whether it has been in my favor or not in the short-run.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:42 PM

Ehh, throw in maybe a few hundred more, it's not really that hard to have a hundred games of gross luck and be even or down a bit after them. But I think by about 600 or 700 you should have a reasonable idea of where you are.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:00 PM

Ive heard people talk about that you need 200 - 300 matches to find out about your winrate. I think you need more. In my last 200 HUsng sample Ive had crazy swings and my current ROI reads 9%. If I take away the last 50 matches its a 32%.

Maybe you can find out about whether you are a winning player. Winrate accuracy however really needs a lot more matches imo. At 500 matches I would be certain to have a winrate at +/- 2%

edit: okay I lied, its a 7.4% now and it was a 19.7% 50 matches before today. Just looked it up.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:15 PM

The higher your true winrate/roi the less number of games you need, period.

If your ROI is 5% at the 11s it's going to take you more games to figure that out than a 10% winner at the 110s. If you're a 25% winner at the 22s or 33s you'll know this fairly quickly compared to the first two examples.

It goes hand in hand with variance, the higher your ROI or winrate the less variance you can expect. I know I've felt a huge difference at different points in my playing career.

Edit:

Another big thing that affects your ROI/winrate is going to be learning. Most of us, myself included, are still learning the game. My main goal is to continue learning while building a bankroll, I don't play for a living so it is an investment and right now I'm more in the "education" of the game. Therefore I find that I change parts of my game and improve them to where I'm playing a lot differently in one set of 100 games to the next set. If I played 30 games a day this might not be the case, but I do not right now.

Another thing that will affect your ROI is tilt. Emotions can come and go and a bad beat that doesn't translate into a loss and tilt you one week can have devastating effects the next week.