Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 12:09 AM

Default this situation really bothered me last night, ruling please.

i'm playing in a 30-60 omaha eight or better game last night. generally speaking, there is far more confusion at showdown in this game than any other, and i often find myself helping the dealers (especially in LV) when we're at showdown. it speeds up the game, and since most dealers are on rotation, they might deal 50 hands a week of LO8 at some card rooms.

where i am it's different, as this is the only game spread most of the time, so the dealers are usually pretty solid, and leaps and bounds faster than most dealers in LV (i saw at least one pot incorrectly awarded during the WSOP this year, and it didnt occur to me until after the fact since i wasnt in the hand and didnt want to stop the game for harrahs to review the tape. trips on board, no one has a pp, and dealer gives the pot to the guy who had a pair on the board, when AK was the best hand)

back to the point.

i'm in the blind with J-2-4-6 and I call a bet on the flop multiway on a board of 9-6-3. turn comes a 2, and gets checked around. River comes a J, and it gets checked through.

I had been playing for about eight hours, it was two in the morning, and i wasn't totally focused, but i was in the mindset of- "my low got counterfeited, i have two small pair".

at showdown i table my hand and declare sixes and twos, no low. i table my hand and spread it. another player shows middle and bottom pair, and a weak low wins the low end. as the dealer looks around at all four hands he kills my hand, and the other hand that didnt have any high/low. as he's pushing the pot to the players, a player next to me says, "wait a minute, you had jacks up" at which point it occurs to me i wasn't even considering my dangler, i had mis-read my hand. three people said they saw my hand, and i tabled it. the dealer and myself made the mistake of misreading it.

i dont get any reimbursement.

next time i go i'll talk to the floor, because i think this is wrong, and i think the house should reimburse the $80 or so that i would have gotten from the pot.

this is an underground room, but it's nice, it caters to a nice/older crowd, and they take a high rake if that matters.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:11 AM

Default Re: this situation really bothered me last night, ruling please.

[ QUOTE ]
three people said they saw my hand, and i tabled it. the dealer and myself made the mistake of misreading it.

[/ QUOTE ]

3 people seeing it is generally enough.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
three people said they saw my hand, and i tabled it. the dealer and myself made the mistake of misreading it.

[/ QUOTE ]

3 people seeing it is generally enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea did anyone dispute your hand (jacks up)? Was the player who was incorrectly awarded your half of the pot ever asked to give it back? If so how much later? My feeling is yes you got kinda screwed but not that screwed. I obviously would never tip this dealer again but I probably wouldn't stop playing there over this incident alone.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think the house should reimburse the $80 or so that i would have gotten from the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, let's have the house hand out $80 every time a player (who is usually the handiest guy around when it comes to reading hands in O/8) miscalls his hand and the dealer takes his word for it.

It's hard enough to read the hands when four of them are turned up at once. Having players miscall hands adds to the confusion. Having a usually competent hand-reader miscall his own hand sends the confusion meter off the scale.

Hope you like hold'em, because if the house is on the hook for this, then they're going to stop spreading the goofier games.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:05 AM

Good point ytf.

OP, how much did you make that night (and overall).
From the sound of it you must OWN this club game.

And it's 30/60. $80 is nothing. Skip it.

Rainbow...
Old 07-24-2007, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think the house should reimburse the $80 or so that i would have gotten from the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, let's have the house hand out $80 every time a player (who is usually the handiest guy around when it comes to reading hands in O/8) miscalls his hand and the dealer takes his word for it.

It's hard enough to read the hands when four of them are turned up at once. Having players miscall hands adds to the confusion. Having a usually competent hand-reader miscall his own hand sends the confusion meter off the scale.

Hope you like hold'em, because if the house is on the hook for this, then they're going to stop spreading the goofier games.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.

No way the house should pay you for this. If your hand can be verified, you should get your share of the pot but that is it.

When I start misreading hands while playing O8 is when I know it is time for me to go home (and then I usually stay another four hours). [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as he's pushing the pot to the players, a player next to me says, "wait a minute, you had jacks up" at which point it occurs to me i wasn't even considering my dangler, i had mis-read my hand. three people said they saw my hand, and i tabled it. the dealer and myself made the mistake of misreading it

[/ QUOTE ]

How fast did the guy stack the chips? Seems if the dealer was still pushing the pot there'd have been plenty of time to re-push the pot to the correct winner.

b
Old 07-24-2007, 03:57 PM

Often times in O8 a dealer will simply take the time to verify that you have the hand you declared and move on, especially if he's familiar with you and considers you competent.

If you really want the dealer to do the work then just table your cards.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:41 PM

Why didn't you ask the guy who scooped to give you half the pot?

If you did, what did he say?
Old 07-28-2007, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Often times in O8 a dealer will simply take the time to verify that you have the hand you declared and move on,

[/ QUOTE ]

To be clear, I'll bet that when OP said, "at showdown i table my hand and declare sixes and twos, no low," the dealer confirmed that he had a 6 and 2 in the hole, and made little-to-no effort to try to find something better.