Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 03:12 AM

Default unethical or just business?

I was playing some 2-5 no limit. I had limped and called a raise with AK and would be second to act post flop. Flop was 10 8 2. BB checked I checked raiser made it $25. BB folded as I was pondering a call the raiser must not have known I was still in the pot, flipped over AK to show the BB what he had. Dealer tells him I am in the hand as I am in the process of calling. Dealer calls floor and the guy wants to just give me the pot (which I have no objections to). However the dealer says that we can just play it out. He deals the turn a jack and I bet $20 knowing that he would have to fold. To my suprise he calls and says he might as well see if he can get an ace or a king on the river, which I was planning on check raising all in if he did. How would he be able to call that knowing that I know what he has. So the river was a blank for the both of us and I bet $40. He folded. So was it right to continue to bet to take advantage of his mis-step or just good business?
Old 05-16-2007, 03:32 AM

Default Re: unethical or just business?

[ QUOTE ]
So was it right to continue to bet to take advantage of his mis-step or just good business?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good Business
Old 05-16-2007, 03:40 AM

So you're going to c/c and lose all sorts of equity because he screwed up?
Old 05-16-2007, 03:41 AM

no I bet... and didn't feel bad about it.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:38 AM

Not unethical but if you're going to try and buy it for $60 - which is 100% reasonable to do given the situation - why not just fire the $60 on the turn. The $20 on the turn just begged to be called, forced everyone to look at another card, exposed you to him catching, you calling and you having to showdown the same hand and be sorta caught with your pants at least unzipped if not down hehe.

Is is really odd the guy wants to give you the pot - and then calls a bet though. Apparently he wanted to give you pot+$20! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2007, 09:50 AM

I just move in on the flop and end it right there.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:18 AM

It's a good thing an Ace or a King didn't hit the river, because your check raise was almost certain to fail. Why would he bet?

I had a similar situation come up twice last week with the same guy. He kept showing me his AK early. He's a regular I play with all the time and he's very well liked, so I checked it down with him the first time, but the second time I had to put a bet in to protect my hand. If he was a stranger I would have played the first hand differently, but he's the type of guy who will check raise the turn and then say "I hit my set," be telling the truth, and then show you his cards. Pushing a 55-45 edge is -EV when you're giving up on someone softplaying you for eternity.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not unethical but if you're going to try and buy it for $60 - which is 100% reasonable to do given the situation - why not just fire the $60 on the turn. The $20 on the turn just begged to be called,

[/ QUOTE ]

what's so bad about getting a guy to put more money into the pot when you know his exact hole cards and there's another round of betting left??
Old 05-16-2007, 04:52 PM

I didn't mind the call, and was actually hoping for an ace or king to hit the river. I was planning a check to him a re-raise to follow. Only with this particular player. I know that he would have bet the ace or king if it hit. If he did I was going to make a big re raise. Think about it, how hard is it to call a re raise when you hit your card if your opponent knows the exact cards you have and is re raising you anyways! I don't think anyone could call.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:11 PM

abso right to do that. props sir!!!