Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2006, 10:35 PM

Default $16: I don\'t quite understand this call

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t200 with t25 antes (4 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

CO (t7988)
Button (t1252)
SB (t2385)
Hero (t1875)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to t2360 (All-in)</font>, Hero calls t1650 (All-in)

Hero is a 2+2er I was playing against a little while ago. He's been here a lot longer than me, so I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, but this call seems wack to me. According to SNGPT, it's unprofitable if SB is pushing 98% or less. Am I missing something?
Old 06-14-2006, 10:46 PM

Default Re: $16: I don\'t quite understand this call

Perhaps he thought he had some read on you. Perhaps he was tilting or bored. Perhaps he unknowingly made a bad call. Who knows.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:10 PM

As you know, villain was me. I figured there would be a post about this later. Was multitabling and thought I was the short stack, blinds were due to go up shortly, and you had pushed on my BB the last 5+ orbits. In fact blinds went up to 200/400 the next hand.

I figured you were pushing ~100% here, and while that may have been a touch loose you did in this hand have 68s which represents ~65% of hands.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:24 PM

I agree that a knowledgeable SB is pushing any two. I don't think that this is a horrible call at all - especially if you two play a bit together.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:36 PM

Without referring to SnGPT, this call looks terrible to me.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:48 PM

What surprised me is that I hadn't been pushing on you that much. If you go back and check you'll see that I actually folded a couple of small blinds to you (which was a mistake; one of my leaks is that I don't pull the trigger every time I should). And even if I were pushing 32o, this would still only be slightly better than break-even. But I guess if you thought you were the small stack it's a different story. Grr. I was counting on you to play better! That'll teach me.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:52 PM

BB made a mistake? It is possible to make mistakes, I make several a day and it costs me dearly.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps he thought he had some read on you. Perhaps he was tilting or bored. Perhaps he unknowingly made a bad call. Who knows.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually one of the better posts I've read on this board about stuff like this.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t200 with t25 antes (4 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

CO (t7988)
Button (t1252)
SB (t2385)
Hero (t1875)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to t2360 (All-in)</font>, Hero calls t1650 (All-in)

Hero is a 2+2er I was playing against a little while ago. He's been here a lot longer than me, so I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, but this call seems wack to me. According to SNGPT, it's unprofitable if SB is pushing 98% or less. Am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind, if BB was not a 2+2er, you'd get called about 99% of the time here. Especially if you've been pushing alot. It's a $16 sng for God's sake. Do you really think that there are very many players at that level who will fold here? Take that into account when pushing random crap from the SB.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:37 AM

45S, my brotha. You been out of the loop too long me thinks. Granted Hero has only 7BBs left after posting, but most Heroes don't even think about it in terms of BBs, they look at their cards, look around the table, see that they are one player from ITM and fold more than they should.

Their range isn't all THAT loose.