Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 11-14-2007, 09:07 PM

Default Help me pick a stock for my finance interviews

Hello everyone,

I am currently a junior at Georgetown. I am going to start interviewing for sales and trading internships soon. For these interviews, I need a "favorite stock" that I can discuss in excruciating detail,saying why its my favorite stock and knowing every little detail about the company and its operations.

Do you all have any suggestions?
Thank you

edit: any additional interview tips are much appreciated. I have worked my behind off networking and kissing ass for months to try to get these, my gpa sucks so i eed to nail them
Old 11-14-2007, 09:16 PM

Default Re: Help me pick a stock for my finance interviews

pick a company with a transparent annual report. Id recommend seagate technology
Old 11-14-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pick a company with a transparent annual report. Id recommend seagate technology

[/ QUOTE ]

How are they transparent?

I would suggest something common. If you pick something that nobody has heard about, they are going to know you're full of it.

My favorites were Sands Regent (SNDS) and Pixar (PXR), but both have been bought up by other companies.

I have no other suggestions other than to inject my nonsense into this thread.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:55 PM

WYNN
Old 11-14-2007, 10:44 PM

Italian,

they break down each sector of their business by product and by geographic market. If you can go in and say they are a great company, and then explain your DCF model based on individual growth forecasts for each segment you'd look better than 90% of applicant.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:05 PM

Back after a self imposed break, I thought I would give my thoughts here. I can recommend a stock to you, however, my recommendations are based mainly in TA, and they are probably looking for something using fundamental analysis.

I do have a question for you. Why don't you have a stock? Why do you need to ask for a favourite stock? If this is the career you are looking to pursue, you should have at least FIVE stocks you are following right now. If not, then why are you pursuing sales and trading? Oh, because you hear they make a lot of money...yes they do, the ones that do their own homework, and have a deep and committed passion for this game and live sleep eat and breath stocks and trading all day long..I don't think you are doing that, and they will smell that a mile away. I've been down this road...I'll give you some advice..connections can get you in the door to the show, but if you don't have that commitment and passion, they won't hire you, because you will do poorly at it, and the guy that hires you will catch hell for hiring someone that is losing money for the firm...you will not get the job based on connections alone...you have to love the game and work at it, and it has to show...

THE HUN.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:17 PM

my passion is for sales. I love selling things have had many sales jobs and was always the best. I am much more interested in the sales than the trading. I really had never thought about finance until now, and Im really just trying to learn. Gotta start somewhere.

and believe me Im working at it. I want this so bad it hurts. I watch fast money every night, read the journal every morning, and go to every event here on campus. Its just something Im starting getting into, and im just looking for a little advice
Old 11-14-2007, 11:25 PM

Sales is fine. If you love selling, then sell. But why not sell insurance, or real estate etc...My question to you is, what is it about sales and trading that you want to get into that particular field..there are a million different things on this planet you can sell...why sell stocks if you don't even have one favourite stock? The greatest sales people are those that exude passion for what they do. My next question is, are you passionate about the stock market and why? Believe me, they will ask you this at your interview. If you tell them you want to sell, they will say the same, sell real estate or something else, why do you want to get into the stockmarket? I have had that question asked of me at my interviews many times. What will your answer be?
Old 11-14-2007, 11:32 PM

I want to focus specifically on international equity sales. It combines my three greatest passions: international studies (i am an international politics major), international business, and sales. One of the biggest issues students from my school have is that they dont know how to apply an IPOL degree. This is the best way I have found to apply my specialized knowledge and skills while still working in the private sector

additionally, while I admittedly dont know much about the stock market, it really fascinates me. As a degen gambler I love the risk and the reward factor, as well as how everything in our daily lives affects the market. My biggest nightmare was to work a 9-5 and sit in an office all day. I find the prospect of a job that keeps me on the edge of my seat all day to be exhiliarating.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:32 AM

I would actually suggest an uncommon company rather than a company everyone knows about. Try to shed light on a growing company out of the spotlight and "sell" them the idea of why the company shows promise/why you picked. More important than anything is to get them to believe as you do (similar idea behind sales).