Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Picking up a new game - Stud or Omaha

Thanks to everyone for your input. I think I'm going to take TT's advice and revisit LHE, with an eye toward taking up stud after I feel my LHE game is solid. I think it's true that I don't have a really solid limit grounding and I see why that will be important for these other games.

I'll have to dust off my copy of SSHE.

If and when I'm looking to start playing Razz, can I find that live other than at a HORSE table? I wouldn't want to play HORSE because (1) the limits tend to be high, (2) I'd get little time actually playing Razz, and (3) I wouldn't be in a position to play OSE well.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:58 PM

I know this is a b&m forum, but try playing on-line. Even if you don't have a lot of money, you should be able to find a pentium 3 for 200 to 300 dollars. The Stud and O8 games online are always running at the lower stakes (up to 5/10), and are pretty soft.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:08 PM

If and when I'm looking to start playing Razz, can I find that live other than at a HORSE table? I wouldn't want to play HORSE because (1) the limits tend to be high, (2) I'd get little time actually playing Razz, and (3) I wouldn't be in a position to play OSE well.

Hi Poshua,

I think its funny that people have referred to you as a he.
AC does not spread razz so they have HOSE, or HOE.

To answer your original querie, try stud. You will enjoy yourself.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a he.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a he.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoaaaa...didnt you post about going to ac with your boyfriend a few weeks back??
Old 08-20-2007, 04:09 PM

AC does not spread razz so they have HOSE, or HOE.

A couple of months back at Foxwoods, I was there when the 5/10 HORSE game got going. We got tthem to agree to do the flop games with a kill and ditch stud hi, so in effect we were playing HORE. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a he.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoaaaa...didnt you post about going to ac with your boyfriend a few weeks back??

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of gay poker players, why is this shocking? Haven't you ever heard of Daniel Negranu (just joking, I couldn't help myself). I know two in NYC who play in the games regularly, one of the guys is very out the other is in the closet. I don't see how sexual preference makes a difference at the table.

Poshua - I think trying to play limit HE first is wise, as long as you dont let it affect your NL game. As previously pointed out its probably best to play online the other games as you get your feet wet because there are always games running 24 hours/day, but finding games like Razz live can be a bit of a challenge.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are a lot of gay poker players, why is this shocking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, funny story: I was at the Borg about two months ago and sat at a new 1/2 NL table. The first guy to sit down was wearing a very classy T-shirt that said "He is gay" with an arrow pointing to his left. Players were avoiding sitting to his left.

I thought about sitting next to him because (1) it seemed oddly appropriate and (2) it was the 6 seat, and I prefer the 5/6 seats. However, it felt weird to me to sit where a sign announced that I'm gay, even though I am. So I put my chips down at the 2 seat and went to the bathroom.

I came back and my chips had been moved to... the Gay seat. Apparently someone had already locked up the 2 seat and I hadn't noticed. Or maybe the floor just knew.

I thought about pointing out to the guy that his shirt could be taken to mean "A gay guy has position on me," but I decided against it.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought about sitting next to him because (1) it seemed oddly appropriate and (2) it was the 6 seat, and I prefer the 5/6 seats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great story, I hope someone got a photo!

Always try to sit on the left of the guy who is the money at the table. Money flows from right to left, having position on the weakest players should be the concern, not the seat number. Hope this little tip helps!
Old 08-20-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Money flows from right to left, having position on the weakest players should be the concern, not the seat number. Hope this little tip helps!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I certainly do this when I know which seat that is. However, in a situation where I have no reads (such as a new table) I'd rather sit directly across from the dealer.