Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 07-13-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Re: ****Official Beckham Mania Thread****

[ QUOTE ]
two TV shows? I thought his wife was on one?

either way, get use to it. A lot of people didn't believe, or refused to believe just how popular him and his wife are.

[/ QUOTE ]

And a lot of people refuse to believe that the US will go back to not caring very much in a matter of weeks.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

either way, get use to it. A lot of people didn't believe, or refused to believe just how popular him and his wife are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought there was some kind of Coming to America thing, and then her show.

I guess I'm still one of them. I don't think anyone gives a [censored] at all except the media who wants to ram them down our throats. I mean he's a European soccer star and she's a washed up pop star. Who gives a [censored].
Old 07-13-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And a lot of people refuse to believe that the US will go back to not caring very much in a matter of weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]Thats very clever, but you are wrong.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Thats very clever, but you are wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

The people that cared before will still care, but the majority of the US will still not pay much attention to soccer.

Soccer fans always say that soccer is about to explode in the US. Time after time they tell anyone who will listen that its just about make the jump in the US and that soon it'll be in the same breath as the the big 4.
They said it was going to become huge after the world cup was here, and it did get a bump but nothing like the soccer fans were claiming. They said it after the womens world cup, but the womens league went belly up and hardly anyone noticed.

Soccer is definitely growing in the US, but a past prime Beckham isn't going to create a massive surge in popularity.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:28 PM

I don't know if he'll help soccer or not. I guess he can't hurt it so good luck with that and all. I just hate the way they're ramming the two of them down our throats. I feel like Princess Di died all over again or another Tomcat baby was born or something.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:29 PM

So let me get this straight.

A washed up, old soccer player from the European leagues comes over here to play in, possibly, the least popular major spectator sport in the US (hockey is giving it a run, though) and I am supposed to care?
Old 07-13-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They said it was going to become huge after the world cup was here, and it did get a bump but nothing like the soccer fans were claiming.

[/ QUOTE ] Well, we had a domestic league established after the WC, and it has been going for 10 years now. Our mens team made it to the quarter finals in 2002. One of the biggest soccer stars in the world just moved to MLS. Numerous other international players have already moved here. Sure MLS isn't as popular as it is in Europe, but its grown enormously. When you take a step back and really analyze it, soccer in the US has grown, and there is no denying that. Tons of teams either have, or are currently building, or are in the planning process for, 20,000+ capacity soccer specific stadiums.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought there was some kind of Coming to America thing, and then her show.

I guess I'm still one of them. I don't think anyone gives a [censored]yet at all except the media who wants to ram them down our throats. I mean he's a master self publicist and she's a master self publicist . They will make us give a [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Dont underestimate the beckhams, there is no rational reason for them to be huge in Europe, Japan (massive there) etc etc. They are jedi experts at the publicity game. There are other much better soccer players than Becks but in celebrity terms not one can come within a million miles of him.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:11 PM

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns...ls&cc=5901

Here are some more interesting thoughts about Beckham.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So let me get this straight.

A washed up, old soccer player from the European leagues comes over here to play in, possibly, the least popular major spectator sport in the US (hockey is giving it a run, though) and I am supposed to care?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but dude, he's REALLY hot.