Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 10-22-2007, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Obama\'s Iowa ground game

[ QUOTE ]
Iron, my mother just applied to work for Obama. I'll let you know if she gets the job (As a result, we aren't on speaking terms anymore [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )

[/ QUOTE ]

Then how will you know if she gets the job? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure there has been some discussion on these boards about how to fix the system that has NH, Iowa, etc. as the most important states getting all the attention.

Can anyone link me to it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think the system is broken?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just think its dumb that candidates focus sooo much attention on Iowa and NH just because of the dates of their primaries, etc. They're not exactly representative states.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's better than it happening all at once, leaving little chance for come-from-behind candidates.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that the primary system is reaching its breaking point: the Iowa GOP has moved up their caucus to January 3rd. Next year, if Iowa instists on going first, the caucuses will likely be moved before Christmas. Everyone recognizes that this is ridiculous, so the most likely solution will be for the DNC & RNC to set up a rotating schedule so states can take turns going first. However, the most common permutation of this plan is that Iowa and NH will still get to go before the rest of the states.

[/ QUOTE ]

A rotating schedule would be okay, so long as there's a good amount of time from the first primaries to the point where they're all happening at once.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure there has been some discussion on these boards about how to fix the system that has NH, Iowa, etc. as the most important states getting all the attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just think its dumb that candidates focus sooo much attention on Iowa and NH just because of the dates of their primaries, etc. They're not exactly representative states.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's better than it happening all at once, leaving little chance for come-from-behind candidates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you support a come from behind candidate.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't this same opinion then apply to the regular election as well?

I'm not much of a politics buff, but I've never understood why the primaries aren't all on the same day. It seems totally against the spirit of the vote to essentially give two random states more influence than others.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:42 AM

Putting everything on one day gives too much influence to the bigger states.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you support a come from behind candidate or democracy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-23-2007, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you support a come from behind candidate or democracy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I support neither.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't this same opinion then apply to the regular election as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see an argument for it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not much of a politics buff, but I've never understood why the primaries aren't all on the same day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because primaries aren't an official part of the constitutional national election process and are as such run completely by the states. This is also why some states have caucuses instead of primaries and why there are no primaries for third parties.