Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 08-11-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Poker & Your Girlfriend

A lot of you probably read my post earlier this week about my girl troubles. Mine falls in the middle of these two.

Heres my philosophy:

When she stops caring what you're doing, she's stopped loving you. And by then she is probably cheating on you as well. So as long as she cares about what you are doing, and you want to be with her, you should give her what she needs. If not, then let it go.

That is my dilemma right now, to have all the time in the world to play poker and drink and party, or to have a girl that loves and cares about me but rags me to death. Case pending.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of you probably read my post earlier this week about my girl troubles. Mine falls in the middle of these two.

That is my dilemma right now, to have all the time in the world to play poker and drink and party, or to have a girl that loves and cares about me but rags me to death. Case pending.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used money I earned playing poker to take my g/f to Lake Tahoe, Disney/Universal, Las Vegas, New York, etc...... and I still get ragged. Put cash down a a new vehicle for her to get her note down to where she could afford it. She is(was) wearing a very expensive engagement ring. Once I spent all this money and realized my bankroll was starting to suffer(to much spent, lack of play to build it back) she would actually make herself believe I lost the money even though she knows my job income vs bills would not have paid for all this trips.
I think she is going to be moving out soon...........
Old 08-14-2007, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If she flops the nut straight and folds it to a bet because it just didn't feel right...DO NOT yell at her.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLZ

[ QUOTE ]
Your Girlfriend Thinks Gambling Is Evil and Destructive

Oh...Boy.

Believe it or not, this is the case for a LOT of the guys I play with regularly. And it's mostly an Asian problem. A lot of Asians, regardless of gender, come from families with very strong beliefs on gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, you have NO IDEA what gambling is like in asian countries. Asians are INSANE GAMBLERS. Stories of people gambling away their house - even their wife! - are definitely not unheeard of. Also, they seem to enjoy 50/50 gambling because if they win they feel that someone from a higher realm is looking out for them and they feel special.

Smart asians from this kind of culture teach their kids to just stay away, just like western people teach their kids to just not use heroin (you getting the gravity of gambling in asian countries yet?).

I'm not even sure it is possible to fully explain it without them being super interested and have a mathematical mind to learn that poker has a large element of skill also. They won't just 'get it' if you say this to them. Only really if they learn the game - which is pretty rare.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now browsing 2+2 forums all day is another story!

[/ QUOTE ]

ya i'm not sure what worse my constant poker playing or my constant 2+2 browsing
Old 08-19-2007, 10:33 AM

I have had intermittent relationships with women, during my lifelong affair with poker.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:59 AM

show her this thread.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:50 PM

Most of the guys in this thread need to find new women. Do whatever the hell you want to do and don't let a women tell you what you can and can't do... if she's got a problem with that tell her to hit the road.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:27 PM

I can't believe all the problems some people get, I guess I am really lucky to have my girlfriend. She will even PLAY 2/4 from time to time in AC...

Today I was off and no one was around so I decided to play 2/4 for 100 bucks. She was very ok with it, and told me to have a good time. She knows its my HOBBY and sees it no diffrent then me blowing $200 bucks on sports games or crap. She's even said "Hey, at least with poker, theres the chance you will win money!" With buying things, you will always not have the money...
Old 08-29-2007, 09:47 PM

To oddsock: i dont know enough details about your situation but your gf didnt make you quit your job, etc. You did.
So put up some boundaries and take care of yourself.

Let her problems be her problems.
if you think that way youll probably get laid more too.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:03 PM

geez, make your own god damn choices and when your partner do not respect it, find a compromise.
Do you really think people have a problem against gambling?(our kid, where we have a REAL edge and can beat the game with effort and commitment) Of course not, its an emotional issue ....i hear guys telling me their gf dont want them to play; well thats not her god damn business, if she wants to spend more time with you and thats the issue...WELL THATS THE ISSUE
if she has a irrational fear of gambling well thats her problem and how the hell can you guys accept their moany attitude.
YOU ACCEPT WHATEVER TREATMENT PEOPLE GIVE TO YOU
make your choices there, if she gives you [censored], dont accept it, if shes not happy because your playing poker well geez she has to make choices. If your unhappy because of what the relationship became cuz of poker and you associate to much pain and not enough pleasure to finding a compromise well weight both ends : Her, Or poker????? theres a zillion other women out there

Dont give me shiet that OMG your situation is complicated and its hard and that i wouldnt understand.... BSSSSS you have the brains and the intellect to solve this problem and make it a win win deal for you and your gf. you just have to DECIDE( deciding means cutting any other possible scenario) to deal with it and commit to it. TOOO HAAAARDDD???? well thenyou are not a men
or your physically stupid from birth
or you have some condition that makes you an incapable failure

but if thats the case then whinning about it wont help...in fact, its COUNTER PRODUCTIVE - human beings only have a limited consciousness/unconsciousness that can only acquire a limited set of information at any time, as soon as you start focusing on your problem to Not deal with them and NOT NOT NOT find a solution ,then this is all your going to focus on, you wont be able to focus on finding the solution, or how to get an emotional boost to your feeling of helplessness

Personaly my gf calls me to see i go Hey ! you can see me but im doing a session right now, She goes: GReat ! ill sit next to you and read a book until your done....

Even in bed ! i can go " honey i need to sleep i got a session tomorow" and shell go " ok goodnight "

i totally respect and support her in any and all of the projects that are important for her and i expect the same exact same thing from her : its call unconditional love/acceptance - and in my head thats not a luxury : its a condition to be with me
even if ive never told her she knows damn well that this is the case.

THIS, ALL THIS, is tough love...why? cuz theres not a single guy out there that cannot find a solution to their problem that will leave them having a better life, not a single one of you
and the skills you learn from dealing with this will help you deal with a miriad of lifes range of problems and boost your overall EV

P.S. Superbad is a hell of a funny movie if your a dumbass kid like me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]