Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2007, 03:18 PM

Default Company of Heroes anyone?

I just got this game after reading a review saying its the best RTS since starcraft.

This game is pretty fantastic although has a very steep learning curve (im 0-2 vs easy comps, 0-4 online 2+2s in new player games).

Does anyone has any pointers or want to play some games online.
-JP
Old 01-18-2007, 01:51 AM

Default Re: Company of Heroes anyone?

Yes, it is the best RTS since StarCraft.
Unfortunately the game play is a bit convoluted. To be effective at the game you need to learn the minutae of what unit counters what and in what way and under what circumstances etc.. etc.... On top of that you need to divorce yourself from the standard RTS mindset of "OWN MAP, BUILD, RAPE OPPONENT WITH A BIT OF MICRO."
My experience with COH is that it is a very technical/tactical game based on manoeuvering your units (flanking/using cover/building occupation/awareness of the minutae of what kind of unit is useful in what circumstance).
That said, it is the pimp [censored] of RTS right now. I have very briefly perused some COH forums and apparently there are hacks out there so you may not be as bad as you think seeing as your opponents could have been hacking you.
I have a bad rec vs hard comps. but if you want to rape the easy computer just go aggro point control (lots of engineers/pioneers early) + aggro spam of big units and nonstop attacks into the enemy base.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:29 AM

Thanks,

Since I posted this ive watched a bunch of replays of some of the best players and have already improved immensely. I beat the ez comp, then the medium, then the hard, then the expert all in a row and now have only some trouble w/ the expert but not much. Ive also gone 6-1 in 2v2's (1 partner lined up all his rifleman along the western edge of the map for some reason) but have still been a bit intimidated by some of the play in the 1v1 games.

You are right about the minutia of the game. Even though theres only 3 (really2) maps that people 1v1 on, w/o knowing the details of the map and the common wire/mg placings you can really start yourself off at an irrecoverable disadvantage.

However, the thing that is great about this game is how tense the early skirmishes are. With Starcraft, you can rush the enemies base but rarely do you meet in the middle w/ a portion of the game hanging in the balance based on the combat b/w two units and yet have no risk of actually losing your base or the game right there.

The retreat option is amazing as is the way the game forces you to use units in teams and not just mass up and attack ground into the opponents base (prevented by artillery and terrain and MG's etc).

Anyways, Ill be playing still under the handle Stim, pm me for a game or find me on relic online.

-JP
Old 01-18-2007, 08:01 PM

rise of nations-thrones and patriot is the best rts, this game is nice but lobby sucks like most rts games
Old 01-18-2007, 08:09 PM

i bought this game played it online for like a month and sucked balls on it, i still have it but rarely play as i am terrible.