Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2006, 02:04 AM

Default Foxwoods Trip Report 12-21-06

I went up to Foxwoods for the night of 12/21 to play 1-2 NLHE. It was the first time in a year that I'd been to Foxwoods (with a lot of play at Borgata, Venetian and Caesar's LV in between), and so it was my first time in the new room. Some observations:

-The new room was more than half full both on Tuesday night (9-1) and Wednesday at noontime.
-Perhaps it was just my table, but 1-2 NL seemed even softer here than in AC or Vegas. My table was full of loose passives, plus one maniac who would raise six or seven consecutive hands pre-flop and had managed to amass about $800. Then, partway through a happy couple appeared, brandishing "Ranking of Hands" brochures.
-One hand featured the maniac described above vs. the lady with the ranking brochure. At the river, there's about $80 in the pot and the board shows KTxxx (no A or 9). Maniac goes all in (~$750) and newbie lady calls (~$350). Both show QJo, and the pot is chopped. Maniac proceeds to mutter about how dumb her call was (it was) and contrast it with how smart his bet was (it wasn't, though I'll grant it wasn't quite as dumb as her call).
-Man, I'd forgotten how bad the dealers are! The main difference from the Borgata was in speed, not competency; the dealers were taking their time almost as though their compensation was only very negligibly affected by how many hands per hour they dealt. Oh wait... Man, tip pooling is the devil. My hope is that any potential Mohegan Sun room will apply competitive pressure and cause the f/w room to improve.
-As a bonus, there's free high-speed internet in the Great Cedar Hotel rooms.

Josh
Old 12-22-2006, 03:27 AM

Default Re: Foxwoods Trip Report 12-21-06

[ QUOTE ]

-One hand featured the maniac described above vs. the lady with the ranking brochure. At the river, there's about $80 in the pot and the board shows KTxxx (no A or 9). Maniac goes all in (~$750) and newbie lady calls (~$350). Both show QJo, and the pot is chopped.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesomeness
Old 12-22-2006, 03:31 AM

The beauty of the 1/2 NL is that everyone is pro's haha. I am there a lot and I just love to hear the knuckleheads bithc and moan over calls or bets. I love to table talk, but never offer advice, only if asked.

The games are very soft on the weekends, you will find during the school year during the week, the 1/2NL games can be tough especially with the 300 max buy in now.

Next time you go let me know.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:06 AM

In my experince the 1/2 has never been tough in respect to the qualiy of the players, I have taken some tough beats but never due to anything but the cards. I have been in some nitty games late in the AM but a few rounds of straddles takes care of that.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the report Josh!! Keep 'em coming.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:43 PM

Many of the dealers are very slow but I definitely appreciate the new automatic shufflers. They add a few hands per hour.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:50 PM

You totally stole my thunder on the trip report. I just flew in yesterday and spent the night there. Love the room, but:

- 4/8 nitty (or at least my table was.
- 1/2 great game if i wasn't still mad about the 4/8 nits. Got my money in 4 ways with an up/down straight and flush draw and....busto.

Also, I'm pretty sure I have a problem with dealers taking communal tips. No incentive for them to be polite or deal faster. Half the dealers I saw were pretty spaced out.