Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Re: How should I play overpairs oop?

raise more pf... run better. this isn't hard
Old 11-18-2007, 07:33 PM

hand 1 almost 4x PF r/r...shove river his calling range will be wider than his value shoving range

hand 2) 4.5x r/r w/ caller in the middle

and stop 1/2 potting every street
Old 11-18-2007, 09:47 PM

Ok, you are forgiven. Thanks for the elaboration.

Wouldn't it be correct to bet pot in position and 25% more oop. So the raise must take in account the number of callers of the initial raise. x3 in position and x4 oop are a good guideline when there is only one opponent. When there is more, we have to make a calculation of what to bet in order to bet pot in position and 25% more oop.

Ok suppose we had reraised to $96 in the first hand. I seems most people here can agree on that it would be a good size raise. That would make villain pay $72 to see the flop. In order to set mine he has to have more than 7.5:1 (reversed chances to hit a set) in the shortest of our stacks compared to the price of the call, in order to make if profitable. He has $600 left, so that is 600:72 ~ 9:1. So at first sight he has good enough odds to still call with a small pair, but as good players we do not only reraise with the nuts, and he cannot always count on that we will stack off with them to his set, when he does hit. So the raise is still fine.

Most of us can agree on that line. Let’s say he calls anyway. We then bet 2/3 on the flop. So the scenario is as follows:

SB Hero($1762)
CO($696)

Preflop Hero is in SB with Kc Kd
CO raises to 24$, Hero reraises to $96, CO calls

Flop ($198) 9d 2h 3s
Hero bets $135, CO calls

What is the line to take now folks?
Old 11-18-2007, 09:51 PM

shove
Old 11-18-2007, 10:27 PM

already said but your 3betting should be bigger, usually a little bit more than the pot size. Also, you should be betting about 2/3 pot on the flop, and getting it AI with KK there on the turn there.
Hand 2 I am bet/folding the turn and if he calls probably check/folding. Against this villain there are a ton of draws so I like charging him for them especially if he is playing them passively.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:56 PM

3 BET BIGGER OOP plz.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:29 PM

When 3 betting you should at least make it pot when in position and slightly more than pot when out of postion that way your not giving hands like 33 or 68s odds to call. When i get a player calling a 3 bet I usually put them on a range of hands like AK,JJ,or QQ, sometimes players will get tricky with AA and trap but more often than not if ur up agaist AA or KK the $ is going all in.The second hand you made a 3x raise more than the 1st hand but with the utg limpers $ in the pot you again gave the button odds to call.Anytime you get a call on flop and turn then a shove any overpair is probably behind.Lets make an Ex. of hand # two. blinds at 3-6 UTG raises to 24, button calls 24, pot size now 57$ you raise it to $100 remember ur out of position. now utg folds and button has to call $76. at that point we all know any utg raise is usually indicates a strong hand and now ur making a real raise and you putting some real pressure on the button and theres no way the 68s makes the call.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your 3-bet sizing is absolutely atrocious in both hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-19-2007, 09:00 AM

@Prator
"Shove" - an explanition here would be nice. It's kind of hard to get anything out of this comment. What are the strategy behind this? let's hear!

@Annex21
"AI with KK on turn." Same thing as Preator. Why? I would say that there is a great chance that we are behind on the turn. Many villians would slowplay their set here and just call. So what is the strategy, if we have raised enough on the flop, we are not folding our kings (our overpair). That is esentially what you guys saying. So if we have raised enough on the flop, we are not folding our overpair? some strategy behind this would be nice. Or else it is useless.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:11 AM

the reason you arent going to get great elaborate thought out responses is because you are making basic bet sizing mistakes and asking about very standard situations that anyone who has a basic grasp of how to win above 100nl should know. its harsh but its truth.

That being said, raise more preflop, and run better.