Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Things that annoy you about live poker.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm hardly someone who would be called a clean or neat-freak. But I wash my hands pretty diligently at the good old B&M...and for longer than 15 seconds.
I can't imagine I would ever call out someone else at the table for failing to do this though.

A lot of the chips you are handing can get pretty disgusting. And some of the bills that have been crumpled up in a sweaty pocket or something aren't exactly the cleanest pieces of paper either.

It may sound pretty OCD of me but I really don't think I get like that about pretty much anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you. Playing poker is the only time I make very sure to wash my hands thoroughly with soap. I've watched people get up from the table and go eat a burger without washing their hands. Its like licking the ass of every player at the table.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:19 AM

I discovered something today at Fallsview.

A. I can handle running like [censored] live.
B. I can handle listening to [censored] morons talk jibberish all nite long.

C. THE COMBINATION OF THESE TWO THINGS AT THE SAME TIME IS THE MOST IRRITATING [censored] IN THE ENTIRE [censored] WORLD AND OMG I AM GOING TO RIP SOME COCKY ASS ASIAN KID'S [censored] HEAD OFF ASJLKDSAJLKSADJDKLAJDSLKAJSKL

Example: While my opponent is raking in the pot after he got allin with AJ vs. my KQ on a AdJdTh flop and turned his damn ace, and some [censored] kid 2 seats to my goddamn right won't shutup about how glad he is that he folded his 9d3d preflop cuz he would have made a flush and lost. OMG JUST STOP [censored] TALKING YOU LITTLE [censored] [censored].

Edit:...yah i'm a little angry right now...
Old 11-13-2007, 02:00 AM

I had a guy who was angry at somebody else at the table who had sucked out on me.
I wasn't bothered by it...so his Q6o hit runner-runner to crack my KK. Big deal. But this guy was all offended by it and was trying to get me on his side that people who play that stupidly deserve everyone's anger or something.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just thought it was standard to wait to look. I'm only 20, never been in a cardroom before, though. I'd be interested to hear the consensus on this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Standard for whom? The whole theory behind waiting is to not give away too much information while getting as much information as you can. As stated, if you wait until the action is on you, everyone else will be looking when you squeeze. Check your cards when the action is a couple players before you and act promptly. You gather far more information in the hands you're not playing. Don't slow down the game. People are trying to give you money.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:16 AM

Let me set the record straight on looking at your cards. Bav has already written smartly on the matter, but here's a dealer's perspective.

In small stakes (10/20 and below), nobody is giving away information, and nobody cares about you. What you really want to do is pay attention to the betting patterns of those acting before you, and the body language of those acting behind you. This will give you far more information to adjust your play accordingly. Looking at your cards immediately allows you to assess the entire situation and make an informed decision. Those who advocate waiting to look are highly experienced pros who have seen every situation a thousand times over. Any microscopic advantage we mere mortals gain by observing others as they look at their cards is more than overshadowed by the disadvantages in having everybody look at us while we're either forced to make a rash decision or wave a big flag reading "thinking player". Learn to observe everything and practice becoming adaptive to a situation as it develops.

In the mid limits, which is the highest I deal, there are several very good, thinking players, who do gain by watching others. But this is not everybody, and these people are able to make those snap decisions, and most check their cards while observing the person directly to their right, allowing the action to flow smoothly. The winningest players do sometimes take a while on decisions, but they're usually slumming it from the bigger games elsewhere.

And that's my take on looking at your hand. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2007, 11:35 AM

When you look at your cards before it's your turn to act, don't give away your intentions beforehand. I constantly see people with chips in their hand or a hand on their stack when they intend to bet or raise.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
“dirty filthy” cigar smokers

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank god the rest of us cigar smokers are ok. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2007, 01:46 AM

This is not sarcastic, but I cannot STAND ending up with other "2+2ers" at the table who think that because they have read some 2+2 book on the toilet, or posted on this board they know how to play and call everyone else a DONK etc.

Also, poker rooms should install showers etc for the players and make it A RULE that if you are in the room over 12 hours, you MUST SHOWER or leave.

Final thing: ANYONE WHO PROMOTES, SPEAKS WELL OF, OR IN ANYWAY tries to push electronic tables in poker rooms. Cards, chips, dealers, etc...that is B&M poker...you want computerized junk STAY AT HOME AND PLAY WITH YOUR MOUSE.

end of rant.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:01 PM

the only thing that annoys me are people who purposely slow the game down. last friday there was a wanna-be balla with about a $600 stack who would cut out chips for a raise every time someone bet into him, and take 15 seconds to fold, like it was some miracle lay down every hand.

also, the people who don't understand the concept of buying chips at the cage that is 5 steps away instead of sitting down and throwing cash on the table, stopping the game. minor pet peeve.

the DN posers and "i shouldnt have layed down xx" don't bother me, because most of the time they're trying to show off and not lying, giving free information about their thought process.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the only thing that annoys me are people who purposely slow the game down. last friday there was a wanna-be balla with about a $600 stack who would cut out chips for a raise every time someone bet into him, and take 15 seconds to fold, like it was some miracle lay down every hand.

also, the people who don't understand the concept of buying chips at the cage that is 5 steps away instead of sitting down and throwing cash on the table, stopping the game. minor pet peeve.

the DN posers and "i shouldnt have layed down xx" don't bother me, because most of the time they're trying to show off and not lying, giving free information about their thought process.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys don't have chip runners?