Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Blogs: What do you read?

I debated posting this in the software thread in diablo's forum, but I think it makes more sense here given all the Google Reader discussion.

Pretty much the only problem I've ever had with google reader is the inability to search your feeds in a simple, fast way. Tonight I decided to look around to see if anyone else had had the problem and come up with a solution. A quick Google search led me to an awesome greasemonkey script for this exact purpose. For anyone that doesn't know, greasemonkey is an add-on (I wish they still called them extensions) for Firefox that allows you to customize webpages with javascript.

To make your google reader feeds searchable:

1) Install greasemonkey
2) Install the google reader search script
3) Go to this page that shows your list of subscriptions (in OPML format) and save it
4) Create a search engine at Google Co-op. Enter a name, a description, a bogus keyword (like "blogs"), a bogus site in the list of sites to search (like "www.example.com"). Click "Next" and then "Finish"
5) Now click on "control panel" next to the search engine you've just created. Select "Advanced" and upload the file downloaded from Google Reader in the annotations section
6) Go to your search engine's home page and do a search for "test" (without quotes) and copy the url in the address bar (after the search)
7) Right click the grasemonkey icon at hte bottom of the browser, select Manage User Scripts, find the google reader script and click edit (you might have to navigate to c:\windows\notepad.exe)
8) In the document that opens search for "replace this" (no quotes) and paste the url you have copied
9) Remove this from the URL: &q=test
10) File - Save

That's it, you're good to go. Now reload your google reader page and there will be a search box on top. When you do searches they'll come up in the same frame where you read your feeds. Seriously, this just made google reader like 5x better for me and it was already an awesome service.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:57 PM

Here is a list of top blogs by links and by traffic.

The Poker Mom...who's pretty much given up blogs and blogging for poker
Old 10-25-2006, 02:22 PM

It's interesting to me that you didn't use Technorati rankings for this.

scrub
Old 10-25-2006, 02:25 PM

Talking Points Memo

TAPPED at American Prospect
Old 10-25-2006, 02:29 PM

I've been ignoring RSS as long as possible. Maybe this thread will spurn me to jump in.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

When I started blogging, (Sept. 2003), everyone used the Ecosystem to monitor where they stacked up against other sites. It also has more depth than Technorati.

For those who thought blogs were basically online journals, it's not uncommon for major political stories to begin their life on a blog. For example, Powerline and Little Green Footballs broke the Dan Rather / Bush / fake National Guard memos 60 minutes story that led to Rather's retirement. The Reuters photographer who was fired for photoshopping pictures from Lebanon was busted by blogs. I'm too lazy to go research which site broke the story, but an example is here.

Other useful sites:

Memeorandum highlights which news stories are being followed by blogs and links to blog posts about those stories.

Blogs Now tracks link popularity which can be interesting to find random stuff you might have missed, for example, pictures of the shuttle launch from space; or did you know that Scott Adams, or Dilbert fame, had lost his voice 18 months ago? His doctor says no one has ever been cured, but as of yesterday, he had his voice back.

You young pups need to get with this internet age. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The Poker Mom
Old 10-25-2006, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

When I started blogging, (Sept. 2003), everyone used the Ecosystem to monitor where they stacked up against other sites. It also has more depth than Technorati.

For those who thought blogs were basically online journals, it's not uncommon for major political stories to begin their life on a blog. For example, Powerline and Little Green Footballs broke the Dan Rather / Bush / fake National Guard memos 60 minutes story that led to Rather's retirement. The Reuters photographer who was fired for photoshopping pictures from Lebanon was busted by blogs. I'm too lazy to go research which site broke the story, but an example is here.

Other useful sites:

Memeorandum highlights which news stories are being followed by blogs and links to blog posts about those stories.

Blogs Now tracks link popularity which can be interesting to find random stuff you might have missed, for example, pictures of the shuttle launch from space; or did you know that Scott Adams, or Dilbert fame, had lost his voice 18 months ago? His doctor says no one has ever been cured, but as of yesterday, he had his voice back.

You young pups need to get with this internet age. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The Poker Mom

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have to check it out.

It's definitely not a metric that comes up when companies that I have worked with evaluate blogs for editorial outreach or ad buys.

scrub
Old 10-26-2006, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
or did you know that Scott Adams, or Dilbert fame, had lost his voice 18 months ago? His doctor says no one has ever been cured, but as of yesterday, he had his voice back.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really an amazing story.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like a poor way to find interesting blogs. The top listings are dominated by politics, and I don't see any way to look for a specific topic.

Do most sites support RSS now? I added slashdot, slickdeals, and magicthegathering, and they all seem to work. (Or is Google reader smart enough to somehow massage and present sites that don't even support RSS?) I was surprisingly even able to add a subscription to "http://www.cnn.com/TECH/". I guess those wouldn't be considered "blogs" though.

Anyone know any good xbox360/PC game RSS?
Old 10-25-2006, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like a poor way to find interesting blogs. The top listings are dominated by politics, and I don't see any way to look for a specific topic.

Do most sites support RSS now? I added slashdot, slickdeals, and magicthegathering, and they all seem to work. (Or is Google reader smart enough to somehow massage and present sites that don't even support RSS?) I was surprisingly even able to add a subscription to "http://www.cnn.com/TECH/". I guess those wouldn't be considered "blogs" though.

Anyone know any good xbox360/PC game RSS?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure the page needs to have RSS, but basically every blog has it. I haven't tried to add anything yet that didn't work.