Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How many Mishmashes have you played in?
0 4 18.18%
1 4 18.18%
2 or 3 7 31.82%
all of 'em 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2007, 10:37 PM

Default Re: SLOW GAME: Welcome to the Bay Area (Werewolf, Northern CA edition)

It is morning again, and some Poggletonians are already ensconced in their graduate offices at the University of California at Berkeley.

Berkeley is the oldest of the campuses in the UC system.

The roots of the University of California go back to the gold rush days of 1849, when the drafters of the State Constitution, a group of vigorous and farsighted people, required the legislature to "encourage by all suitable means the promotion of intellectual, scientific, moral and agricultural improvement" of the people of California. These early planners dreamed of a university which eventually, "if properly organized and conducted, would contribute even more than California's gold to the glory and happiness of advancing generations."
The university that was born nearly 20 years later was the product of a merger between the College of California (a private institution) and the Agricultural, Mining, and Mechanical Arts College (a land grant institution). The College of California, founded by former Congregational minister Henry Durant from New England, was incorporated in 1855 in Oakland. Its curriculum was modeled after that of Yale and Harvard, with the addition of modern languages to the core courses in Latin, Greek, history, English, mathematics, and natural history. With an eye to future expansion, the board of trustees augmented the college's Oakland holdings with the purchase of 160 acres of land four miles north, on a site they named Berkeley in 1866. (Cal's Charter was introduced in 1868.) This original tract was to be considerably expanded over the years.

While the College of California was in its infancy, efforts continued in the state legislature to create a public educational institution, and in 1866 the legislature took advantage of the federal Morrill Land Grant Act of 1862 to establish the Agricultural, Mining, and Mechanical Arts College. The college was to teach agricultural, mechanical arts, and military tactics "to promote the liberal and practical education of the industrial classes in the several pursuits and professions in life." Scientific and classical studies were not to be excluded but were of secondary importance.

The boards of trustees of the College of California and the Agricultural, Mining, and Mechanical Arts College decided to merge the two schools to their mutual advantage -- one had land but insufficient funds and the other had ample public funds but no land-on the condition that the curricula of both schools be blended to form "a complete university." On March 23, 1868, the governor signed into law the Organic Act that created the University of California. The new university used the former College of California's buildings in Oakland until South Hall and North Hall were completed on the Berkeley site (South Hall is still standing), and in September 1873 the University, with an enrollment of 191 students, moved to Berkeley.
[excerpted from the website for the University of California at Berkeley]

And this morning, this historic institution becomes the site of yet another gruesome killing.

wdcbooks, an ordinary Poggletonian, has been mauled. Perhaps appropriately, he was found on the steps of the Doe Library.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:39 PM

Wow, didn't expect that kill.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:39 PM

13 Poggleonians remain alive:

aaronk
antidan
bojtun
clown
fcbl
fnord
HBE
mdorand
mets
nichp
roundtower
soah
stephenh

Night will fall at majority of 7 or at 10 pm Sunday night, whichever is earlier...unless the players would prefer Monday night due to the holiday. Please vote in thread.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:40 PM

Whoops, sorry for the night post.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whoops, sorry for the night post.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't it was day. Continue as you were.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MOD NOTE:

I will be in and out of training this afternoon and will be prepping the house for cleaning this evening. If all night actions are in by 11 EST, I'll go ahead and reopen the thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
WTF is that?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:48 PM

We have a maid service that comes every Friday, but they just do the actual CLEANING: scrub floors, clean bathrooms, change sheets, vacuum, empty trash, etc. Tidying up whatever crap I've left around that week is up to me. So I usually spend between 30 mins and 2 hours depending on how much of a slob I've been that week getting the house clutter taken care of.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:10 PM

NO ONE TRY TO FIGURE OUT WHY THEY KILLED BOOKS

IMA GO DO IT
Old 08-30-2007, 11:12 PM

I just made a quick scan while at work.

My conclusion is, Roundtower needs to die today. Really the only people books called wolfy the whole game were RT and bojtun. And he didn't like soah's late d1 switch from cueball to RT (but called him villagery otherwise).
Old 08-30-2007, 11:13 PM

And books never really cleared anybody, either. Unless I missed it, which, knowing me ...