Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: QB
T. Brady vs IND 3 50.00%
D. Brees @ TB 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Cheating at AP, updated cliff notes

A few thoughts from a regular lurker who doesn't think certain issues are being adequately addressed:

1) Obv. huge thanks to Dan. Nat, Adanthar, Josem, and everyone else committed to getting this story into the mainstream press, and getting AP to answer for this breach. In the long run, I think this can be a big coup for online poker, and the catalyst for its regulation.

2) re: the whole issue around the Superuser account. I'm the furthest thing from a network/programming whiz, but in my mind it makes perfect sense for all online poker sites to have some sort of superuser accounts for testing. I always assumed that accounts like this existed, when I gave any thought to how poker clients ran. I also assumed that they were in some way disabled to prevent them from actually participating in real money games.

The larger issue isn't that superuser account(s) existed. I think it's apparent and logical that they do. I'm concerned about how many 363s are out there at each site, and what sites like Stars and FTP have done to ensure that these breaches do not take place on their sites. In fact, in the aftermath of this, I think it would be in the best interest of all major online sites to issue a release explaining how they use their superuser accounts for testing, and how they protect them from being exploited for real money gain by rogue programmers / hackers / company insiders and executive management.

If AP just chipdumps $700k to the highstakes players, postures publicly about their remorse, and remarkets themselves, there is no reason to believe that 362, 364, and 365 aren't going to show up at your highstakes table next month or year.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sweet. The Levitt article and the Digg page are on the second page when you Google "Absolute Poker".

http://www.google.com/search?q=absolute+...art=10&sa=N

It would be sweet to get these on page 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to move them up the rankings, you need to link to them from other websites.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, everybody is talking about what AP has to do to survive. I really don't think they can, and if they can survive it isn't going to have anything to do with what people do or don't do. Does anybody give them more than a 10% shot to come through this at this point?

[/ QUOTE ]

5% chance to survive, 15% chance to take everyone's money....hello Pokerspot!
Old 10-17-2007, 07:18 PM

I think the people who are saying people will be ok if they pay back the 700k are focusing too much on the 700k. When that money is distributed, no one will get near 700k. If you lend someone $20 and they never pay you back,are you going to lend them money next time? That 700k shouldn't be close to enough to buy anyones trust back, there needs to be punitive penalties of some sort.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:21 PM

Cool of Dan to do this, he is definitely the Dirty Harry of the online poker world. That being said I dont think you guys have to worry so much about how his next conversation goes. I think its great he is in touch with them and will have some input, but there is no way he and some dude named Jerry on the security team are going to determine the implications of this.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dan Druff, this is a very special opportunity that you have to talk directly with AP. It is a difficult position to be in to speak for an entire community, but it is something you have to do since you are the only one with direct contact.

Your propositions for resolution in your phone convo were severely lacking, to say the least. The message you sent to them was that if they paid everyone their money back, this would all go away. Nevermind, that the poker community was bold-faced lied to or that they are blatantly covering up the fact that cheating occured on their software! Money can solve everything right? Well, not in this instance!! This is a very delciate situation that we are involved with right now. I mean think about it, this is the first time that there has ever been proof that cheating has occured on an online poker site!!! So if we send them the message now that throwing money at us solves the problem, what do you think will happen in the future if this situation occurs again? In fact, sending them the message that money heals all wounds is exactly what will make cheating MORE likely in the future!!! If they get caught, so what? Just refund the money and we'll act like it's all ok. That is most certainly not the case and is absolutely not the message we should be sending them. The way we react to this situation now will set the precedent for how we will be treated in the future should this situation be repeated. It must be absolutely clear to them that cheating and their attitude toward the incident so far, is absolutely unnaceptable! That the only way for them to get out of this situation is to admit full responsibility!

The funds need to be returned ASAP, they need to give us a full and satisfactory explanation of what happened, they need to go after all the guilty parties involved in this scandal and take whatever action that they can to prosecute them, they need to admit to there being some sort of superuser account and disclose the reason for its existence (since it has already pretty much been confirmed that all poker sites have the capabilities to view everyone's hole cards, presumably for security reasons), they need to reassure us that they are taking to necessary steps to make sure this situation never happens again, and last, but certainly not least, they must NEVER viloate our trust again!!!!

Only after they do all of that will we even consider forgiving them for they way they have handled the situation so far!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is bang on the money in my opinion.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:28 PM

Just FYI:

---------

http://www.kahnawake.com/gamingcommi...ry.asp?show=10

KGC to investigate Absolute Poker

The Kahnawake Gaming Commission (KGC) announced today an audit into the current and historic activities of Absolute Poker and interaction with its gaming and financial systems. As a KGC licence holder Absolute Poker is obliged to adhere to the Regulations Concerning Interactive Gaming.

Absolute Poker has agreed to fully cooperate with the KGC and / or its agents.

Mr David Montour, the Commission’s Chairman, said, “This week allegations of impropriety have been bought to the attention of the Kahnawáke Gaming Commission. We have appointed experts to conduct a thorough audit of all circumstances, provide findings and recommendations to the Commission. The audit will not be restricted to examining theories circulating in Internet chat rooms and fora”.

The Commission has instructed Gaming Associates to conduct the audit and report to the Commission. Gaming Associates is acknowledged world wide as an expert interactive gaming test and audit house – accredited by regulators worldwide. Gaming Associates’ consultants are pioneers in interactive gaming regulation - recognized as experts in this field since the 1990s, and information security experts.

“It is essential that all online gaming and wagering is conducted in a fair and honest manner where customers are protected. The Kahnawáke Gaming Commission is committed to ensuring fair and honest gaming. Nevertheless, it is important that we, as a Commission, act on findings and not allegations alone.”
Old 10-17-2007, 07:29 PM

Just want to say that i sweden all of the biggest pokercommunits has this site and this scam at the first page of the forum..
Old 10-17-2007, 07:31 PM

THE CHAAAAAAAAAAARK WILL EAT THE CHEATS
Old 10-17-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sweet. The Levitt article and the Digg page are on the second page when you Google "Absolute Poker".

http://www.google.com/search?q=absolute+...art=10&sa=N

It would be sweet to get these on page 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha the first result for absolute poker on goggle is "Absolute Poker - Suspended due to payment issues"
Closed Thread