Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 11-21-2007, 05:33 PM

Default Buying stocks with high dividends?

I'm a guy who doesn't do any day trading, I guess I'm in it for the relative long run although not true long run (2 years, maybe)? What do you guys think of stocks like C or BAC which right now are projected to have huge (6-7%) dividends? I don't have too much cash to invest, between 5k-20k, depending how many other positions I'm willing to sacrifice. Any clues? What are the chances of the dividends being cut/killed?
Old 11-21-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Buying stocks with high dividends?

Very slim chance Citi cuts its dividend FYI
Old 11-21-2007, 06:27 PM

I have been in OHI, SFL and FRO for quite a while now and they have consistently paid very nice dividends with a capital gain as well.

Check them out but be sure to do your own research.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a guy who doesn't do any day trading, I guess I'm in it for the relative long run although not true long run (2 years, maybe)? What do you guys think of stocks like C or BAC which right now are projected to have huge (6-7%) dividends? I don't have too much cash to invest, between 5k-20k, depending how many other positions I'm willing to sacrifice. Any clues? What are the chances of the dividends being cut/killed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm wondering the same thing. Eventually I think many bank stocks are going to get to the point that they are ridiculously cheap (like less than book value) but they aren't there yet. The problem is nobody really knows what's on their balance sheets, and then there are questions about what they have off balance sheet.

I suspect there's going to be a lot more in the way of write offs by banks and their stocks are going to get cheaper. It's hard to know what book value really is for a lot of these companies that have a lot of derivative and subprime exposure. I think I'll probably wait at least a few more months before I do anything.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:49 PM

I agree. Its hard to know if dividends will have to be cut because of the lack of information about what is on the balance sheet. I imagine the banks themselves don't even know the value of some derivatives or CDOs.

Citi made $0.44 cents per share in the most recent quarter. That is less than they paid out in dividends. They had earned about $1 or more per quarter for the previous 8+ quarters. Most of this loss was due to a huge write down in CDO investments. Will the earnings bounce back or are there more write downs to come? Its hard to say. I am watching these banks, but I think it will take another quarter before we know whats going on.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:33 AM

An index fund will have much lower volatility (and hence better risk-adjusted returns) than individual stocks. WisdomTree has some dividend-weighted ETFs that may interest you. Be aware that high dividends make investments less tax efficient. On the flip side though, dividend yield is a weak part of value, and you can expect slightly higher returns and volatility from stocks with higher dividends.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree. Its hard to know if dividends will have to be cut because of the lack of information about what is on the balance sheet. I imagine the banks themselves don't even know the value of some derivatives or CDOs.

Citi made $0.44 cents per share in the most recent quarter. That is less than they paid out in dividends. They had earned about $1 or more per quarter for the previous 8+ quarters. Most of this loss was due to a huge write down in CDO investments. Will the earnings bounce back or are there more write downs to come? Its hard to say. I am watching these banks, but I think it will take another quarter before we know whats going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

They won't cut dividends unless they have to, because they know they are dead meat if they do. Countrywide paid their last dividend, for crying out loud.

BTW, I think more write-downs are coming. Big ones.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They won't cut dividends unless they have to, because they know they are dead meat if they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. I've seen divi cuts received well in the past. GM comes to mind as one of many examples. Also too, divy cuts are very often anticipated. Surprise divy cuts aren't received so well. Don't know what the sentiment is on C.

A quick note, in theory stocks that pay dividends aren't any more valuable than stocks that don't. The decision to pay a dividend and how much to pay is not an easy question for companys to answer. Some stocks are required to pay dividends such as REITs in order to maintain their tax status.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:12 AM

ive heard UBS is the least likely to cut their dividend and i think buffet is accumulating, it also got hit the least out of these beat up bank stocks, dont listen to me though i am new to stocks
Old 11-22-2007, 02:17 AM

If you want high dividends then invest in MLPs.