Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 11-24-2007, 03:04 PM

Default Re: when to sell GOOG?

[ QUOTE ]
I bought at 670.99. It closed today at 676.70. I think I want to sell at somewhere in the 800 range, maybe play it safe and sell around 825.

[/ QUOTE ]

You kinda just picked a number out of the blue?
Old 11-26-2007, 09:49 PM

[censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] A[POUBGQE[RWOUGQ[AHWREGQW
Old 11-26-2007, 09:57 PM

IMO goog isnt that great

They have hired a crap ton of people that do who knows what, they release a ton of 'products', but the only one that has caught on is search ( perhaps gmail too ).

Google search was revolutionary at its time, but now it is not noticeably better than yahoo or ask.com, of course everybody uses google tho out of habit so that is worth something, but who knows when the next grad student will come along and revolutionize search again and google will be left behind.

Also Text ads are overrated imo, seriously, I think a large % of clicks on these are accidents or scams.

I think it's prospects for growth in no way justify a 60 PE, but whether to sell or not i dont know, its hard to predict the crowd
Old 11-26-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also Text ads are overrated imo, seriously, I think a large % of clicks on these are accidents or scams.

[/ QUOTE ]

Click fraud is rampant on all search engines. I think the new trend will be cost per action where the advertiser pays a fee after a certain action takes place, i.e. submitting email address or purchasing an item.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:12 AM

some of you guys have a cursory if not ill-informed concept of google's business model...
Old 11-27-2007, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
some of you guys have a cursory if not ill-informed concept of google's business model...

[/ QUOTE ]

just responding to his comment about click fraud, not about google's business model. stock has been a monster, no question about it.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:32 AM

it just closed at 666, time to get out
Old 11-27-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO goog isnt that great

They have hired a crap ton of people that do who knows what, they release a ton of 'products', but the only one that has caught on is search ( perhaps gmail too ).

Google search was revolutionary at its time, but now it is not noticeably better than yahoo or ask.com, of course everybody uses google tho out of habit so that is worth something, but who knows when the next grad student will come along and revolutionize search again and google will be left behind.

I think it's prospects for growth in no way justify a 60 PE, but whether to sell or not i dont know, its hard to predict the crowd

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post.

Another poster said that google is basically the Microsoft of the web. IMO, the difference between the two is that it's bigger deal for us non-techies to change Operating Systems as opposed to seach engines. If Google disappeared tomorrow, I'd just go to another search engine and type into that box.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:53 AM

you do know that even though advertisers on google get roughly 3-4% CONVERSION rate on their clicks, they (as advertisers) still make money?

Google probably has the BEST traffic out there (and the most as well). The only thing driving advertisers away is the bid price competition makes it expensive to advertise on google.

just my opinion, but i dont see google slowing down for a LONG time. A huge amount of advertising money is moving to the internet, and google will get a huge chunk of that every year.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:37 AM

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor...mbol=US%3AGOOG