Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Adults dupe teen into MySpace-assisted suicide

gump, An adult doing it to another adult (e.g., a 2p2 poster) is worlds different than and adult doing it to a child anyway.

I really don't know about the legal issues here and what they SHOULD be. I do know that it is absolutely sickening that the parents did this AND that they don't have any remorse.

Seriously, she felt "less guilty" because the girl had tried it before? Uhhhh, that should make you despise your actions even more. This article lifetilts me and pretty much makes me want to avoid having children because I know all too well that there are scum like this roaming the lands.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There's a difference between simple hazing and bullying between peers in middle and high school and deliberate, malicious acts of torment by a group of adults towards a pubescent girl.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this difference is nearly as big as you believe, and that those who think there is a big difference here were either not bullied or the bullies themselves. I had it pretty light, all things considered, and I remember having one absolutely miserable year.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Again, you make the same mistake as mbillie1. I am not saying they are responsible. I am saying they are liable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand the legal difference... what is the ethical difference? I mean what is ethically the point at which someone is only accountable by paying a fine? I mean I agree, it's likely they'd be found liable... but is that right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you want to argue the concept of what is right and what is wrong? Unless you subscribe to a theory that says all ethical values are the same, you're bound to get hundreds of different answers.

My only argument is that the family has a good civil suit on their hands and ample evidence that the other adults are liable for her death.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
li·a·ble (l-bl)
adj.
1. Legally obligated; responsible:

so we're talking legal responsibility right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice try, you intellectually dishonest moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

uhh what? I wasn't trying to be dishonest or anything. Seriously. That's straight off of dictionary.com... I'm talking about whether or not the parents SHOULD be liable. I don't care what the legal truth is.

I assume you're talking about the straight legality, and I'm just showing that we're talking about different things. Way to whip out the moron insult though, classy

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
dude remember middle school, jr high, high school? Picking on someone's weaknesses deliberately to cause emotional harm happens constantly, people with depression are not exempt... and yet most of them don't kill themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a difference between simple hazing and bullying between peers in middle and high school and deliberate, malicious acts of torment by a group of adults towards a pubescent girl.

[/ QUOTE ]

deliberate malicious acts of torment by a group of young adults towards pubescent girls and boys is abnormal? I hear you, I just think you underestimate how frequent this sort of deliberate, premeditated, malicious and cruel behavior occurs I guess

[ QUOTE ]
li·a·ble (l-bl)
adj.

[/ QUOTE ]

From wikipedia:

Conditions for filing a wrongful death claim:

"The death must have been caused, in whole or in part, by the defendant's conduct, even though there was no direct intention to kill the victim. The defendant must have been deemed negligent or strictly liable for the victim's death. Also the deceased has dependent party such as family members who have suffered from emotional and monetary damages as a result of the death."

[ QUOTE ]
gump, An adult doing it to another adult (e.g., a 2p2 poster) is worlds different than and adult doing it to a child anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

People are getting sidetracked by that conversation. My point was that 14 year olds do this too; Alobar says they don't understand the implications, and that adults stop because they do understand the implications. I disagreed with that.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
li·a·ble (l-bl)
adj.

[/ QUOTE ]

From wikipedia:

Conditions for filing a wrongful death claim:

"The death must have been caused, in whole or in part, by the defendant's conduct, even though there was no direct intention to kill the victim. The defendant must have been deemed negligent or strictly liable for the victim's death. Also the deceased has dependent party such as family members who have suffered from emotional and monetary damages as a result of the death."

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm aware that intent doesn't matter. But this sentence does, and is the crux of our whole discussion (to which everyone is getting very hostile):

The defendant must have been deemed negligent or strictly liable for the victim's death.

I am no lawyer, and I don't even care what might happen in court. I'm just saying, in my opinion, these adults are not strictly liable enough to say that they murdered this kid.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Now you want to argue the concept of what is right and what is wrong? Unless you subscribe to a theory that says all ethical values are the same, you're bound to get hundreds of different answers.

My only argument is that the family has a good civil suit on their hands and ample evidence that the other adults are liable for her death.

[/ QUOTE ]

again my bad, I agreed with your argument a couple of pages ago, I just misinterpreted a post of yours to be directed at me re: the right/wrong of civil liability. I naturally assumed we were arguing about right and wrong, because it's fun, lol.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

are you [censored] serious?? Thats an unbelievably stupid statement....of course they are to blame for this girls death. They are adults, they willingly and knowingy [censored] with a 13 year old girl, who they knew had emotional problems, and 13 year old girls are emotional enough as it is. They [censored] with her in the worst way possible. They targeted an overweight girl with self esteem issues by pretending to be a hot boy and then snatching that away and embarrasing her in front of her entire peer group. They might not have been able to predict she would off her self, but they couldnt predict what an unstable girl would do in that situation, and they should have known that whatever her reaction it wouldnt have been healthy, and they are entirely responsible for whatever action she took.

Everyone on this forum goes to great lengths to talk about how child molesters are the lowest scum around, and how they should just be taken out and shot. Why is that?? Because their actions ruin the development and mental well being of an innocent child The child will forever be scarred from the incident, and we find it so reprehensible because as adults we cant fathom how another adult could willingly do that to someone who is completely defenseless against them.

This situation is no different. They mentally and emotionally raped that girl, and they damn well should have known better, and it is completely outrages to think whatever action that poor girl took isnt directly their fault.

[/ QUOTE ]
So what if the 16 year old boy was real and was genuinely interested in her and then had a change of heart? Say he met some hot chick at school and in a fit of adolescent cruelty sent a bunch of mean messages to the old chick. Is he responsible for her death if she kills herself? Of course not.