Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Offseason College Football Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, just checked Sagarin and App State was 53rd last season. Don't know what they have coming back or anything, but that's very interesting. Does this change your opinion MTR?

(Yeah, I understand it shouldn't be challenging and they are still just a paycheck. But 53rd is pretty respectable for a paycheck.)

[/ QUOTE ]

nope...flaw in the statistical method as they don't have a sample size to compare them to A level teams.
They played one power division team and lost 23-10 at NC State.
This team is worse than the bottom of the Big10 as a challenge to the Wolverines.

Remember, Iowa took on lower power Montana at the start of last year and beat them 41-7 IIRC. I expect the same thing out of this game.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

nope...flaw in the statistical method as they don't have a sample size to compare them to A level teams.
This team is worse than the bottom of the Big10 as a challenge to the Wolverines.

Remember, Iowa took on lower power Montana at the start of last year and beat them 41-7 IIRC. I expect the same thing out of this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of what MT2R said is correct. App. State is the best of the best of the FCS (big follower of FCS football here) teams right now. They have won the last 2 National Championships at that level. But they don't belong on the same field as Michigan or any other top FBS program. Would App State stand a fair chance against Eastern Michigan or someother bottom level MAC or Sunbelt team? Definitely. But not against the top I-A teams in the country.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the Mountaineers keep it close for the 1st half, but this game will wind up being a blowout in the end.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, just checked Sagarin and App State was 53rd last season. Don't know what they have coming back or anything, but that's very interesting. Does this change your opinion MTR?

(Yeah, I understand it shouldn't be challenging and they are still just a paycheck. But 53rd is pretty respectable for a paycheck.)

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah ok, good to know about the flawed methodology. I know you're a big believer in Sagarin in general, so good to hear. And hopefully you're right about the result, although memories of Ball State are still fresh in my head. Go for the jugular Lloyd, please.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:15 PM

Being a Vol and living in Arizona means I never see my team live ... unless they travel to a place like Berkeley.

Tennessee @ Cal - Sept. 1st

Also, Tennessee @ Florida will be huge nationally. Winner will probably win the SEC East.

UGA @ Tennessee
LSU @ Alabama
Tennessee @ Alabama
USC @ Cal for the Pac 10
Old 02-21-2007, 12:00 PM

Auburn released their schedule:

DATE OPPONENT
Sept. 1 KANSAS STATE
Sept. 8 SOUTH FLORIDA
Sept. 15 MISSISSIPPI STATE
Sept. 22 NEW MEXICO STATE
Sept. 29 at Florida
Oct. 6 VANDERBILT
Oct. 13 at Arkansas
Oct. 20 at LSU
Oct. 27 OLE MISS
Nov. 3 TENNESSEE TECH
Nov. 10 at Georgia
Nov. 24 ALABAMA

The hype for the Bama game will be out of control. Saban coming to town for his first Iron Bowl and Auburn going for 6 in a row.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:46 PM

Michigan's schedule

Sat., Sep. 1 Appalachian State
Sat., Sep. 8 Oregon
Sat., Sep. 15 Notre Dame
Sat., Sep. 22 Penn State
Sat., Sep. 29 At Northwestern
Sat., Oct. 6 Eastern Michigan
Sat., Oct. 13 Purdue
Sat., Oct. 20 At Illinois
Sat., Oct. 27 Minnesota
Sat., Nov. 3 At Michigan State
Sat., Nov. 10 At Wisconsin
Sat., Nov. 17 Ohio State

8 home games. Two sort of marquee opponents. ND will be away down this year: I expect 7-5 or so given all that they lose. OSU will be down, so I'm pretty confident we beat them (finally). The game at Wisconsin is by far the scariest. Fortunately we have always matched up well against their teams/style of play.

A little concerned about MSU and PSU. MSU because I came of age in the 90's when we lost 3 times in East Lansing (and again in 2001 when I went to the game), although obviously they shouldn't be very good. PSU because Morelli might actually come around and be decent. Not that they should beat us, but if he improves to anywhere near what his potential is/was, they could give us a fight.

All in all, very good home schedule, both for the team and far fans (nice way to go out as a college student). Also love the away schedule, as all 4 games are makeable. I am going to make an effort to go to every one. Champaign is the only one that is up in the air, being far away and not having friends there. Hopefully they make this a special year in my (and probably Lloyd's) last year.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:20 PM

Eh, I figure I'll post Rutgers too while were doing this:

Thu Aug. 30 Buffalo
Fri Sept. 7 Navy (ESPN 7:00)
Sat Sept. 15 Norfolk State
Sat Sept. 29 Maryland
Sat Oct. 6 Cincinnati
Sat Oct. 13 @ Syracuse
Thu Oct. 18 South Florida(ESPN 7:30)
Sat Oct. 27 West Virginia
Sat Oct. 3 @ UCONN
Fri Nov. 9 @ Army(ESPN2 8:00)
Sat Nov. 17 Pittsburgh
Thu Nov. 29 @ Louisville(ESPN 7:30)

First 6 games are home with a 1AA and Buffalo. I'm very glad they kept the Navy game as it has turned into a semi-rivalry. Maryland is the only OOC BCS team Rutgers will play. Army appears on the Rutgers schedule again after not being on it last year. It's your typical SUNJ schedule.

It's a very possible 9 wins for Rutgers, hopefully 10. I see Rutgers with a possibilty of being 8-0 before WVU comes into Jersey, I don't see RU beating WVU this year. They will then have to split with Pitt/UL to have a "successful" season. I say that with quotes because honestly, any season that ends above .500 is successful for the time being. Bowl bids are all the school needs right now.

I'm ecstatic to see 4 national TV games even if 2 are Buffalo and Army.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:29 PM

I don't think Bama will come out of their brutal schedule in good shape. Fortunately they UT, LSU & UGA at home.

Overall
vs LSU
vs UGA
vs UT
neutral vs FSU
@ Auburn

That's tough. @ Vandy & vs Arky are always interesting too.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:31 PM

Guys, how good is LSU going to be this year? I don't have a great idea. It's going to matter so much.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thu Aug. 30 Buffalo
Fri Sept. 7 Navy (ESPN 7:00)
Sat Sept. 15 Norfolk State
Sat Sept. 29 Maryland
Sat Oct. 6 Cincinnati
Sat Oct. 13 @ Syracuse
Thu Oct. 18 South Florida(ESPN 7:30)
Sat Oct. 27 West Virginia
Sat Oct. 3 @ UCONN
Fri Nov. 9 @ Army(ESPN2 8:00)
Sat Nov. 17 Pittsburgh
Thu Nov. 29 @ Louisville(ESPN 7:30)

[/ QUOTE ]

It's too bad the WVU game isn't on national television. Both teams could very well be 7-0 when that game happens with 3 common opponents between them (Maryland, Syracuse and USF).

Not too different from last year, right? Maryland instead of UNC is an improvement...but Army instead of Illinois is a step down. Making this OOC schedule for 2007 pretty much a wash with the 2006 schedule. Also, hopefully this is that last of these MEAC teams (Howard last year and Norfolk State in 2007). Scheduling 1 FCS team is fine but at least get one from a good FCS conference like the CAA or SoCon or Gateway...

Anyway, it is really good to see this program continue to move in the right direction.

You have any info on 2008 and beyond OOC schedules for Rutgers? I know in 2010 Rutgers starts a 7 game series with Notre Dame. But I'm hoping that the OOC schedule improves before then...

Edit:

Nevermind. Found it. Link.

2008: @Navy, UNC, Buffalo, Army
2009: Navy, Buffalo, @Maryland, @Army
2010: UNC, @ Navy, Army, @ Notre Dame
2011: @ UNC, Navy, @ Notre Dame, @ Army
2012: Notre Dame, Army

2010 might actually be pretty tough OOC depending on who the 5th opponent that they add will be and assuming Butch Davis has UNC respectable by then.