Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2006, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Heisman finalists - Smith, Quinn, McFadden

If Calvin Johnson was on Ohio State, Hawaii, Michigan, Texas, Notre Dame, or any other school with both a decent offensive coordinator and an actual quarterback he would've won this going away.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Calvin Johnson was on Ohio State, Hawaii, Michigan, Texas, Notre Dame, or any other school with both a decent offensive coordinator and an actual quarterback he would've won this going away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but they don't give the award based on potential. They (are supposed to) award it based on performance. I think everyone agrees he is awesome, but such is life.

Although I hardly think it's a slam dunk. In the modern era there have been 2 WR's to win the award. Tim Brown won it in 1987. His stats? 34 catches for 846 yards (nice average), returned 34 punts for 401 yards, rushed for 144 yards, and gained 456 yards on 23 kickoff returns. He scored a total of 8 TD's. Different game 20 years ago, but people do that and don't finish all-conference now (Manningham had 9 TD's in his first 6 games, for comparison).

Desmond Howard had 62 catches for 985 yards and 19 TD's, as well as 13 rushes for 180 yards and 2 TD's, a kick and punt return for a TD, averaging over 27 yards per kick return and 14 per punt return.

So both receivers did a good job in other areas. Didn't Fitzgerald have sick stats one year and not even get much hype? You just don't win at WR, even if you have disgusting numbers, unless you put up numbers in other areas. Whether that's right or not is another question.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:25 PM

Also, I kind of enjoyed NDNation exploding over Quinn finishing third. Putting aside the issue of whether that makes sense, it seems like a stupid thing to get pissed about. Finishing 2nd as opposed to winning I can see, but no one is going to care who finished second and who finished 3rd. I don't remember where Chris Perry finished in 2003 and he's a Michigan guy. 5 years from now I won't remember where Hart finished.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Right, but they don't give the award based on potential. They (are supposed to) award it based on performance. I think everyone agrees he is awesome, but such is life.

Although I hardly think it's a slam dunk. In the modern era there have been 2 WR's to win the award. Tim Brown won it in 1987. His stats? 34 catches for 846 yards (nice average), returned 34 punts for 401 yards, rushed for 144 yards, and gained 456 yards on 23 kickoff returns. He scored a total of 8 TD's. Different game 20 years ago, but people do that and don't finish all-conference now (Manningham had 9 TD's in his first 6 games, for comparison).

Desmond Howard had 62 catches for 985 yards and 19 TD's, as well as 13 rushes for 180 yards and 2 TD's, a kick and punt return for a TD, averaging over 27 yards per kick return and 14 per punt return.

So both receivers did a good job in other areas. Didn't Fitzgerald have sick stats one year and not even get much hype? You just don't win at WR, even if you have disgusting numbers, unless you put up numbers in other areas. Whether that's right or not is another question.

[/ QUOTE ]

The big reason it's tough for a WR to win is if he has a good year his QB will have had a good year, and people will tend to give more credit to the QB for that.

If Johnson caught 32 TDs for Hawaii this year or something equally ridiculous, thought, that overcomes the lower importance of his position.

My basic point is that Reggie Ball is terrible at football.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't Fitzgerald have sick stats one year and not even get much hype?

[/ QUOTE ]

He actually almost won the award in his sophomore year of 2003. He came in 2nd to Oklahoma QB Jason White; point totals were 1481 to 1353.

Also, I just noticed Chris Perry finished 4th that year, just behind Eli Manning. So now you know. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I agree that it's stupid to yell about how Quinn came in 3rd instead of 2nd.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/2...ve_awards.html
Old 12-10-2006, 08:16 PM

Wow I didn't realize he did that well. I remember thinking he got overlooked completely, but maybe that's because I thought he clearly should have won with those numbers and he didn't.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ugh, whoever drafts Quinn next year is going to take him several rounds too high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yesterday, they were showing some Heisman spotlight or highlight games for the nominees. The Notre Dame vs. Michigan St. game was the one they chose to represent Brady Quinn. Are you kidding me? The Spartans blew a 16 point lead in the 4th quarter and it had almost nothing to do with Quinn. The Irish lost that game because Michigan St. is Michigan St. and John L. Smith's Spartans are the best team I can remember at losing games they should definitely win. That was not a Heisman spotlight.

I guess ESPN was just grasping for straws since there was no question who would win the award.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:29 PM

He threw for 5 touchdowns in a monsoon! I know you all hate Quinn, but come on, give him a little credit.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ugh, whoever drafts Quinn next year is going to take him several rounds too high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yesterday, they were showing some Heisman spotlight or highlight games for the nominees. The Notre Dame vs. Michigan St. game was the one they chose to represent Brady Quinn. Are you kidding me? The Spartans blew a 16 point lead in the 4th quarter and it had almost nothing to do with Quinn. The Irish lost that game because Michigan St. is Michigan St. and John L. Smith's Spartans are the best team I can remember at losing games they should definitely win. That was not a Heisman spotlight.

I guess ESPN was just grasping for straws since there was no question who would win the award.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes we get it. Everyone hates ND.