Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Bottom set on flop, one low board

omg, throw the hand away to the raise like it was a piece of extra-stinky poo, what do you want to hit? A four or a 23 gives you more trouble than profit, NFD makes you call off your stack, this hand sucks
Old 11-05-2007, 01:56 PM

I assume by your question and the stakes you are playing you are new to PLO8 so I am going to flavor my response in that vain…

One of the ways you make money in PLO8 is by avoiding big mistakes and taking advantage of others big mistakes. Playing small pairs and then stacking off with them when you hit your set is a big mistake. Bloating pots with marginal hands OOP is a big mistake. Playing marginal hands OOP is a small mistake, calling raises with marginal hands OOP is a bigger mistake… Do you see where this is going?

Do yourself a favor. Play tight OOP and save your loose play for the button or cut off.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:45 PM

Ukulele Playing Cat (Garcia) - I agree the starting hand is a piece of extra-stinky-poo when you face a raise before the flop.

But Damocles' question was about after the flop. If you're going to throw this hand away when you make a set with your fours, then I don't see how you can play the hand to begin with.

Buzz
Old 11-05-2007, 07:58 PM

Well in plo8b, this hand isn't as terrible as a lot are saying here, at least in position. The defintion of a terrible hand is really how you will play it. A44 is a bad combo if you are going to go bonkers drawing to a bad low. But in the right conditions, mostly playing its high strength, its fine.

FWIW, I was once told here that A2 junky was a pass.

gl

bdd
Old 11-05-2007, 08:35 PM

Hi Big Dave - [ QUOTE ]
. A44 is a bad combo if you are going to go bonkers drawing to a bad low. But in the right conditions, mostly playing its high strength, its fine.

[/ QUOTE ]Agreed.

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I was once told here that A2 junky was a pass.

[/ QUOTE ]I don't think I ever wrote that, but I guess it's not impossible. I currently think it would depend on the situation.

Generally, rightly or wrongly, I'm probably playing A2-junky. But I'm not sure that's true of everyone.

As an aside, I appreciate your opinions on the other forum I moderate. You tend to lend some balance to what otherwise might be a one-sided discussion, and one that might tend to ridicule the opposing point of view. Thanks for that. (However, I can't guarantee you won't take some abuse for presenting an opposing point of view - although I'll try to control it - but some of those posters over there are subtly clever in getting around me).

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Buzz
Old 11-05-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But Damocles' question was about after the flop. If you're going to throw this hand away when you make a set with your fours, then I don't see how you can play the hand to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right.

Postflop I'd raise pot on the flop and then fold to any further action unless I hit quads. You really do have a crappy hand here.

Big Dave D - how much profit do you think you will make playing something like A27J UTG in pot-limit?
Old 11-06-2007, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Big Dave D - how much profit do you think you will make playing something like A27J UTG in pot-limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you implying this is ever a fold based on hand value alone?
Old 11-06-2007, 01:05 PM

It depends on how stupid my opponents are. In some games, its clearly bad. In other games, it is profitable. And of course position is key. From what I've seen, the current level of play on Stars, for example, is pretty nitty and would make aj72 particularly a tough ride. In times in the past the game has been much wider open. But if you can pass a nut low draw, or even a nut low made, then a2 is almost never a bad hand.

gl

bdd