Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Pokerstars $1/2 Frustration

I moved from PS to FTP a couple of months ago and saw an immediate difference.

1. FR table is 9 instead of 10 @ PS.
2. Players are tighter PF @ FTP which results in much more blind stealing.
3. There are fewer FR table than @ PS at any given time of the day.
4. You are allowed to data mine @ FTP which combined with #3 lets players know more about other players which results in #2.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I moved from PS to FTP a couple of months ago and saw an immediate difference.

1. FR table is 9 instead of 10 @ PS.
2. Players are tighter PF @ FTP which results in much more blind stealing.
3. There are fewer FR table than @ PS at any given time of the day.
4. You are allowed to data mine @ FTP which combined with #3 lets players know more about other players which results in #2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, which of these, excatly, is supposed to be an advantage?
Old 11-09-2007, 01:10 PM

Being the pedant I am I can’t help picking at a couple of points it the big article above.

Firstly, “Over the next 5000 hands the number of times that player is dealt pocket aces, when added to the previous 500 hands, will become much closer to matching the odds of 220 to 1, against”. This is incorrect. The previous 500 hands should not be added back; they are irrelevant.

Second point, “If a player routinely folds A-Qo in middle position to a raise and re-raise by solid players that player should continue to do so.”. I agree, for a one-off event, but for meta-game purposes, I think you may want to be seen to be participating occasionally.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:11 PM

No advantage, just an oberservation as to what I found the differences between FTP & PS.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:37 PM

kaatz, is that at 1/2?

i've found the 1/2 at ftp to be looser than at stars. ymmv obv.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Being the pedant I am I can’t help picking at a couple of points it the big article above.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being the pedant that I am, I can't help picking at your picking.

[ QUOTE ]
Firstly, “Over the next 5000 hands the number of times that player is dealt pocket aces, when added to the previous 500 hands, will become much closer to matching the odds of 220 to 1, against”. This is incorrect. The previous 500 hands should not be added back; they are irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

For purposes of the point he's making, it's fine. He's not doing a strict statistical analysis; in fact, he's making the same point you are.

[ QUOTE ]
Second point, “If a player routinely folds A-Qo in middle position to a raise and re-raise by solid players that player should continue to do so.”. I agree, for a one-off event, but for meta-game purposes, I think you may want to be seen to be participating occasionally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meta-game is almost worthless in the games we're talking about. A few weeks back I was playing 4/8 at the Bellagio, seriously went 75 minutes without doing anything but blinding and folding, and still got 5 cold-callers when I raised AA preflop; three of them saw the river with me, one of whom runner-runnered his flush ftw with two cards < 7 on an ace-high flop (yep...the set of aces that I waited an hour and a quarter for got beaten by 63s...lucky the drinks were free).
Old 11-09-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Being the pedant that I am, I can't help picking at your picking.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For purposes of the point he's making, it's fine. He's not doing a strict statistical analysis; in fact, he's making the same point you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

But his quote implies that your future hands (…the next 5000) will on average make up for the bad luck you had on earlier hands (….the previous 500). They will not. This is fundamental. The bad luck in the first 500 hands will only become less significant as the sample size increases.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meta-game is almost worthless in the games we're talking about. A few weeks back I was playing 4/8 at the Bellagio, seriously went 75 minutes without doing anything but blinding and folding, and still got 5 cold-callers when I raised AA preflop; three of them saw the river with me, one of whom runner-runnered his flush ftw with two cards < 7 on an ace-high flop (yep...the set of aces that I waited an hour and a quarter for got beaten by 63s...lucky the drinks were free).

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point well made. A practical example that I can happily salute.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The bad luck in the first 500 hands will only become less significant as the sample size increases.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. That's the point he's making, don't draw conclusions from small sample sizes. Except, the first 500 hands wasn't "bad luck", it was variance.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:51 PM

.25/.50 is what I am playing right now.

It seems the average table stat I see is around 25 VP$P & 8 PFR.

My game has improved a lot in the last couple of month because of this forum (so I am noticing much more) but I often see at least 1/3 of each orbit blind on blind or open raised from HJ, CO or Bu.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:52 PM

Being the pedant I am I can’t help picking at a point in the little post above.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they are not irrelevant. DUCY?

(oops... asked and answered. Had to wait for break to post)