Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Negreanu: Absence of internet sites better for WSOP

[ QUOTE ]
Having more 'outside' (non poker) sponsers is a good thing for poker.
I think thats what Negreanu was saying

[/ QUOTE ]

He still used the words "more reputable" in an unflattering context when referring to the new non-poker sponsors. It really sounded to me like he was mimicking the general attitude people who don't participate in online poker have about it. Unless something has changed, I don't believe Daniel even plays online (or if he does it's very little) so it's not surprising to me he would take this tack. Furthermore given his poor relationships with a number of the highest profile online sponsored players he would have plenty of motivation to dis the industry now that he's reportedly pretty much thrown in the towel with Full Contact.

The bottom line is that in fact it is absolutely not "better for the game" that legal restrictions have intimidated the high profile B&M industry players to exile the online industry from any commercial endeavors or partnerships.

Online poker is all I can do right now because of an illness. I don't appreciate someone who is making a good living from this game making it easy for it's detractors to make things more difficult for me.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He actually calls the new non-internet site sponsors "more reputable".

[/ QUOTE ]
And what's he base this on?

Seriously, is DN like contractually obligated to say or do something stupid or controversial every other week?
Old 06-06-2007, 04:12 PM

I tend to agree that he was saying that having non-poker related sponsorship makes the poker world more secure and reputable because people outside of this thing are taking notice which will equal more money in the long run.

I do like how people are misreading this, IMO, and acting like DN just called their mothers dirty whores or something. Get over yourself, really.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tend to agree that he was saying that having non-poker related sponsorship makes the poker world more secure and reputable because people outside of this thing are taking notice which will equal more money in the long run.

I do like how people are misreading this, IMO, and acting like DN just called their mothers dirty whores or something. Get over yourself, really.

[/ QUOTE ]

The issue I have is with the words he chose, not with what he may have meant.

No service is being done to online poker when you use the words "more reputable" to describe the new non-poker sponsors at the WSOP, or suggest the lack of online sponsorship is "better for the game" after Harrah's has chosen to completely disassociate itself from the entire online industry because of the legal ramifications and very possibly their own self-interest from a financial perspective (I can't imagine they were ever enthusiastic about offshore online gaming).
Old 06-06-2007, 04:56 PM

antisocialgrace - your looking at things from the POV of a player, step outside of your skin for a moment. Daniel is right, its good for poker in the big picture. If you have a choice of a corporate sponsor like Planters and Full Tilt, Planters is far better for poker in the long run - mainstream companies investing in the poker community does more to the meet our collective needs. Of course people like Negranu have more to gain from this new corporate branding investment, but we all do in the end... the more mainstream poker becomes within society the better the field becomes and the more likely that congress will begin to side with out needs.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I hear him right in the interview linked below, he seems to suggest the prohibition of internet poker site sponsorship at the WSOP is better for the game overall. He actually calls the new non-internet site sponsors "more reputable".

[/ QUOTE ]
Somehow I suspect the one sponsor is perhaps his as he then says no other names but adds they are not important anyway.....

Also, when asked about the Internet players, he says they are there, just incognito.... Harrah's banned Internet sites from advertising IF they offer the games in the U.S. then signed an exclusive deal with party poker (and note also PP is in talks with the USAO in N.Y. as something seems to be brewing on the gaming front AND PP withdrew from the U S market as soon as the UIGEA was signed along with 888 holding who are in talks with the USAO).

Please listen carefully and put comments others make in context based not just on what is said but circumstances as well.

obg
Old 06-06-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know it's fashionable to rag on Negreanu, but wow, you're reading into it waaaaaaay too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The word "reputable" wasn't the best choice of words, but it seemed like he was just searching for a word to use off the top of his head and couldn't find the right one. As a couple people have mentioned, he seemed to mean that the new sponsors look more reputable to non-poker people.

And he didn't criticize internet players at all.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know it's fashionable to rag on Negreanu, but wow, you're reading into it waaaaaaay too much.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. It was just an off the cuff remark.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:22 PM

His comments were waaaay innocuous....get a grip.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
um, from what i heard, he basically meant that its good that all these PARTYPOKER.NET, BODOG.NET banners and showrooms are gone and its less of a gimmick

[/ QUOTE ]