Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Another \"Am I a D-bag\" thread

If he pissed me off bad enough and I could fade it, I would ask him how big the last pot I took off him was. Then I would tip the dealer every cent I had just taken off him.

THAT might be a d-bag move, but that would be entertaining IMO.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:14 PM

Call him dingleberry and tell him to shut his pie hole.

Yes you were a bit duchey for confronting, he is the obv dbag no need to make a scene.

That said I have a confession, I was in a pot where I flopped a set of deuces and it was bet out and I vtowned my set vs a flush draw on the flop and by the turn there was 800 in the pot and I moved AI for 400 more, guy flipped up nut flush draw and I told him what I had being semi happy to take it down. He called and afterward I tounge in cheek thanked him for calling, D-bag?
Old 11-25-2007, 05:31 PM

He was the D-Bag, but he trapped you into the D-Baggery Trap.

1. He just lost a big pot, give him some slack.

2. He's steaming which is good for you. Don't fall into a steam-trap yourself.

3. The dealer made a mistake here. Don't take that out on him. You could mention it to the dealer or the floor later and ask her not to respond to questions about your tips.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:32 PM

I really don't understand all this chest-beating confrontation? Why is any response at all necessary? Why is this something worthy of anything more than a bemused dismissal?

Also, while I agree that dealers shouldn't talk about their tips, this dealer may have been in an awkward situation with not wanting to be rude to a regular who tips a lot. Still not good, but understandable in the context.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:51 PM

Hit guy in face with solid next time.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:00 PM

I think your tip was a little light, but I don't think that makes you a douche bag. The other player should not have asked how much you tipped and the dealer should not have responded.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:03 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't be too ticked off at the dealer in this situation. Even though I think it's inappropriate I understand that she's not exactly signalling to him after every hand or something like that. She's only responding to what she was asked.

The chest-beating confrontation stuff I don't quite get either although I guess we've got some adrenilin rushing around and stuff like that both from having won a big pot and also having some guy act really d-baggy practically directly at us.
But asking, "do you have a problem with how much I tip?" is almost TRYING to turn practically nothing into something.
If he says, "no dude. whatever. tip however much you want" then it seems OP is positioned to respond, "good...then butt the hell out of my business" which is starting just as much stuff as "yes, I do" with "what the hell is your problem?"

No matter what he responds to this question OP is going to be able to run it into a more escalted situation.

Again, I do have problems with the guy asking the dealer how much he tipped. That guy is an idiot. But I think you have to learn to walk away from some of this stuff otherwise you are just going to end up getting into non-stop super-macho confrontations because there are plenty of opportunities for them if that is what you're after.

I've had guys yap at me at the table before in a semi-similar fashion and I just let it go because they're drunk and/or stupid.
Just try to take some more of their money on the next hand.

However, it should be noted that I have never played in any of the California rooms where I hear some of this stuff is a bit more common. I might find myself making threats or exchanging much more impolite language if a ruder situation presented itself.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:25 PM

You handled it badly by being way too serious. Laugh it off and let this guy steam off his chips.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would also be somewhat curious about the angle on the newb you called him on a couple weeks prior.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was first to act on the river, and it got checked around. He was first to show, however he held his cards in his hands and pretended not to be paying attention. Dealer said at least 3 times "your first" to him or some variant, however he played dumb and waited until his opponent turned over his hand. Then, after seeing he had a winner, villain turned over his hand.

When I said something to him "you know you were first to flip," he said that he couldn't hear because his earphones were in. This is someone who has been playing cards for years, and he had been able to hold conversations perfectly fine with his earphones in, so I gave a sarcastic "uh huh" to him. He immediately got red in the face and shouted "are you calling me a liar?" I kind of shrugged, and that was also pretty much the end of it. At the end of the session, I said to him "if you really couldn't hear, then I apologize."

Again, I should've probably stayed out of it, but my pushy self got in the way of a peaceful poker session.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Again, I should've probably stayed out of it, but my pushy self got in the way of a peaceful poker session.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like your "pushy self" goes around with a chip on his shoulder looking for arguments. The best way to have a peaceful poker session is not to take the bait of jerks.