Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 01:43 AM

Default Re: Dog the Bounty Hunter... irony bomb explodes

[ QUOTE ]
All,

FWIW, I've actually come across a bunch of people, generally older people in the South, who use the word and aren't really racist at all. That's just the word they use to describe black people, just like I use black and not African-American.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care if they are 120 years old. They know it is a racially charged word, and still chose to use it. I'll never understand why so many many Americans think it's Ok to use words that are offensive to others, by shrugging it off by say "we don't really mean anything bad by saying it."

I live in an area that is aproximately 50% Aboriginal and 50% non-Aboriginal. The Aboriginals find "indian" to be derogatory, so out of respect, people don't use it. Inuit in Canada find "eskimo" derogatory, so we don't use it. It's not complicated - it's just about being respectful about how others do and do not like to be referred.

As for the comments on racism, if you are using the N-----R word when you fully know that African-Americans find it offensive, than you are being racist. If you feel it's a learned behaviour, then unlearn it!!

I travel in Canada and the US lots, and in the cities in both countries there are black populations. However, I hardly ever here the N word in Canada, and in the states I'm amazed how frequently it is used. It seems to me most of the older folks that use this word are just trying to hang on to the old days, where "those" black folks knew their place.. It's sad, really.

The attitudes by some folks on this thread are troubling.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
HEY GUIDS, are you going to answer the question or ignore it and pretend you haven't painted yourself into a corner?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just think it's funny for Duane Chapman to be calling other people n****r, when he has done time for murder 1, has 11 kids(many whom he had no hand in raising) by 5 different women, has a daughter who gave birth at the age of 15, has a daughter who died in a drug-related automobile wreck and has a son who has done prison time for drug-related charges.

[/ QUOTE ]

This post says more about you than it does about him.

[/ QUOTE ]

i really don't think it does. to me, it says a lot about dog. i mean.. literally, it says a lot about him.

it doesn't really say much about illeagle, i gotta tell ya.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with dids. I dont see how there is any confusion. the guy is equating the word [censored], which is a slang term for black people, with murder, having a bunch of kids that he isnt raising, drugs, etc.

Ill now inevitably get a bunch of people to now say that [censored] arent the same as black people, a [censored] is just a type of black person. well, this is [censored], it is justification for being racist (to what degree? I dunno).

[/ QUOTE ]
So then you believe Chris Rock is a racist because he says "I love black people but I hate n****rs."?

[/ QUOTE ]
Is Chris Rock a BS facilitator of racism?

Are the creators of this video facilitating racism?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rN2VqFPNS8w

[/ QUOTE ]

is chris rock a racist? no, is he facilitating racism? yes.

[/ QUOTE ]
So you're saying it's unacceptable to ridicule a certain portion of a group(thug culture) that gives the whole group(black people as a whole) a bad name?

If so, then I strongly disagree with you. Look at FBI statistics and you will see that in America, black people(12% of the population) are responsible for 70% of this nation's violent crime.

Now you and I know this fantastically disgusting statistic isn't due to race, it's due to the thug life [censored] subculture, which is largely being encouraged by white owned media corporations like Viacom. Kids are coming home from school today and turning on BET to watch the likes of Fifty Cent and that HeyBayBay guy rap about banging hoes, slinging junk and carrying firearms. Man, that's [censored], and there's no reason the whole black race should have to shoulder the blame for this disgrace.

And you, by insisting that these facts be kept in the dark, by insisting that this critical subject is too taboo to be discussed, you are the one facilitating racism by encouraging ignorance of what's really going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I was in accord with your first post. I intpreted it as meaning that a person who embodies every negative stereotype of a slur is hypocritical in using it. Guids, Dids et all. viewed it as your suscribing to that sort of ignorance. In philosophy, the reader is supposed to interpret writing in the best light possible; its known as the principle of charity.

This latest post of yours proves that you are no philosopher.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:41 AM

Dirty Diggs,

Your interpretation of my initial post is correct. I don't claim to be a philosopher and never have but I'm guessing you disagree with some part of my previous post if not all of it. Enlighten me, please. What part(s) do you disagree with?
Old 11-02-2007, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol...why was he being recorded and who was recording him? If it was his own son that recorded it and turned it over to the tabloids...then dam thats cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lawyer: Bounty hunter's son sold tape
Old 11-02-2007, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll never understand why so many many Americans think it's Ok to use words that are offensive to others, by shrugging it off by say "we don't really mean anything bad by saying it."

[/ QUOTE ]

Because well-adjusted Americans understand that political correctness is one of the nagging issues of our Emprire?

"Hello [censored], I mean hello negro, I mean hello colored, I mean hello African-American, I mean hello economically disadvantaged individual -- would you rather I placate you or tell it like it is??"

Treating racism as if it can be solved through measured words is absolutely ridiculous.

You are white and I am black. We are equal but we are different, the environment in which we were raised is likely to be different. I can tip-toe around that fact or I can treat you like a sentient being and address you based on the premise that you understand these differences as well.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll never understand why so many many Americans think it's Ok to use words that are offensive to others, by shrugging it off by say "we don't really mean anything bad by saying it."

[/ QUOTE ]

Because well-adjusted Americans understand that political correctness is one of the nagging issues of our Emprire?

"Hello [censored], I mean hello negro, I mean hello colored, I mean hello African-American, I mean hello economically disadvantaged individual -- would you rather I placate you or tell it like it is??"

Treating racism as if it can be solved through measured words is absolutely ridiculous.

You are white and I am black. We are equal but we are different, the environment in which we were raised is likely to be different. I can tip-toe around that fact or I can treat you like a sentient being and address you based on the premise that you understand these differences as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

not calling someone n*gger is hardly an issue of being overly pc and it's ridiculous to suggest such. can i treat you like a sentient being and operate on the premise that you understand the difference b/t when someone saying "that black guy did such and such" vs. "that n*gger did such and such"?
Old 11-02-2007, 04:03 AM

If Dog was black, his sentence would be entirely acceptable to almost everyone.

If Dog was black and didn't want his son marrying a "redneck piece of [censored]" or a Jew there would be a bit of outraged tutting from people who are offended by double standards and a few uppity members of the target group and that's it.

Black Americans (they aren't African-Americans because there's nothing African about them except the colour of their skin and we're not supposed to judge people on that, like most Americans they couldn't find Africa on a map with both hands, and their family hasn't been in Africa for many generations) have much bigger problems than whether some douchebag calls a black person a [censored] or not. Weren't we all taught as children just to ignore people saying nasty things and NOT encourage them by getting all upset?

I guess I'm a racist now and someone's going to turn me in for thoughtcrime. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2007, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If Dog was black, his sentence would be entirely acceptable to almost everyone.

If Dog was black and didn't want his son marrying a "redneck piece of [censored]" or a Jew there would be a bit of outraged tutting from people who are offended by double standards and a few uppity members of the target group and that's it.

Black Americans (they aren't African-Americans because there's nothing African about them except the colour of their skin and we're not supposed to judge people on that, like most Americans they couldn't find Africa on a map with both hands, and their family hasn't been in Africa for many generations) have much bigger problems than whether some douchebag calls a black person a [censored] or not. Weren't we all taught as children just to ignore people saying nasty things and NOT encourage them by getting all upset?

I guess I'm a racist now and someone's going to turn me in for thoughtcrime. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

the first part of this post is irrelevant. yes a lot of black people also make racist remarks, but they shouldn't. since when does person x doing something wrong condone person y doing it? regarding your last point-- i'm not going to ignore people using racial slurs, but that's just me. i'm not [censored] voltaire
Old 11-02-2007, 04:18 AM

why are people acting like we're all ripping him just for using a specific word? he basically told his son he was fired unless he stopped dating someone with a certain color skin. that's monstrous itself.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:22 AM

yeah that's pretty terrible, but come on-- you knew this was going to turn into a debate about racism [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]