Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 03:01 PM

Default Re: qq utg full tilt 500k

[ QUOTE ]
Blue,

He didn't reraise preflop because he figured he'd let his opponent get away from worse hands, and stick in a lot more money with better ones.

[/ QUOTE ]
That reasoning seems more applicable to HU situations, or perhaps to hero having AA. In this case, it's 3-way and it's already a good-sized pot compared to his stack after the BB calls. So hero doesn't necessarily mind taking down the pot preflop w/ QQ against worse hands.

[ QUOTE ]

Just because he called preflop doesn't mean he is only playing for set value. This is a flop were my default is to shove. If he only calls you with JJ+ you are still near 40% equity. And when he folds you are picking up quite a few chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand this at all. Sure, JJ will call but he gives AK a chance to fold, and almost anything else that calls crushes him. Again, I'll take this line HU but I don't like it multiway. If I'm going to commit my stack with QQ against multiple opponents, I prefer to get my money in preflop.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he's going to call, check the flop, then fold to this bet I think OP was def playing for set value, which sounds like a good decision to me. Normally I might play back at the raiser to gain info, but the BB calling kind of messes things up without stacks being deeper.

[/ QUOTE ]
He wasn't playing for set value, the flop is just pretty bad. How exactly can you play back at the raiser to gain info without committing your stack? Or did you mean preflop (not that that is much better)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if this flop is bad, then most flops will be bad, since any A or K is bad as well. Hero pretty much needs to hit a big hand on most flops to commit his stack here.

I like the way the OP played it, or alternatively, I would make a big re-raise preflop if my read is that there is a sufficiently small chance the CO has AA-KK.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(KK is a shove, and QQ is a fold)

[/ QUOTE ]

On a T high board? Explain the difference between KK and QQ to me please.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:01 PM

seems like a continuation bet with a big ace, don't like the fold at all....probably would have bet to begin with.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:23 PM

this is the big one on sunday with all the people that have satellited in, right? if so, i would probably just reraise preflop with the intention of getting it in or, given the flat call preflop, intend to get it all-in on a flop like this.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
seems like a continuation bet with a big ace

[/ QUOTE ]
What does that mean? What are you basing that on? How do you have the ability to differentiate between a "continuation bet with a big ace" and a value bet with an overpair?
Old 07-24-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(KK is a shove, and QQ is a fold)

[/ QUOTE ]

On a T high board? Explain the difference between KK and QQ to me please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because his range is weighted a mostly towards JJ+, and when that is infact his range, QQ is a losing shove and KK is a profitable one.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Blue,

He didn't reraise preflop because he figured he'd let his opponent get away from worse hands, and stick in a lot more money with better ones.

[/ QUOTE ]
That reasoning seems more applicable to HU situations, or perhaps to hero having AA. In this case, it's 3-way and it's already a good-sized pot compared to his stack after the BB calls. So hero doesn't necessarily mind taking down the pot preflop w/ QQ against worse hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, it's not that hero minds taking it away preflop. However, what does your range look like if the action goes bet UTG, 3-bet from CO w button call and 4-bet from UTG? You've narrowed your range down to like exactly QQ+. Anything else will fold, and QQ+ (where QQ obv is very unlikely) calls/pushes (which is the same, since you're committed).

If you just call, worse hands (specifically 99-JJ or so, and AK with a cbet on rag flops) will put in more. It makes the hand a bit harder to play, sure....but also more profitable.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, if this flop is bad, then most flops will be bad, since any A or K is bad as well. Hero pretty much needs to hit a big hand on most flops to commit his stack here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, there will be bad flops. The point is, what do you put his reraising range on? I'd default to like 99+, AK. Which of those do you beat on this flop? Exactly JJ and AK.

I don't think shoving is really horrible, but I do agree that this flop is rather bad since a portion of his range that we had beat PF now beats us, and we basically need villain to be bluffing or have JJ to win.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:20 AM

it's fine. once in a while he'll show up with something lame you manage to beat somehow, but nowhere near what you need to call him down, especially on this flop and especially over multiple streets.