Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 02:23 PM

Default IS this what po todds are all about ?

Im not talking about implied odds here.

So if your odds of drawing a flush is lets say 30% and you are getting 4-1 ( 20%. it becomes 5-1 instead after BEP is included {got the BEP from Phil gordons LB]) it is usually correct to call right ? because your drawing % is greater then the pot odds

what if the odds of you catching a straight are only 20% yet you are getting 2-1 ( it becomes 3-1 after BEP which) which your pot odds are then 33%, the correct play here is to fold since your drawing % is less then your pot odds.

Am I getting this right ??? I was wondering if you more veteran pot odds savvy people could see if this is right i think I have a good understanding about the basics of pot odds.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:56 PM

Default Re: IS this what po todds are all about ?

Yes, but you also need to factor in implied odds... which is much harder. To do that, look at how big their stack is and make an analysis of how likely to go all-in if you hit. If you have a aggressive image, an all-in after a 3rd suited card comes out might work. If you are tight, that 3rd suited card will likely kill the action.

If you think the guy is weak, why not re-raise.... try to win the pot there, and if not.... likely get a free river card (guy likely to check on turn).
Old 08-13-2007, 03:10 PM

in addition to the implied odds, you also need to account for the fact that the odds you are calculating are your odds assuming that you see the river.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:07 PM

Pot odds are just the ratio of the current pot size to the amount you have to call to see another card (or showdown) when an opponent has bet or raised.

If you think you are behind, you compare the pot odds to the odds of improving to the winning hand (or to the odds that you actually have the best hand if you are considering calling a bet to see a showdown).

[ QUOTE ]

So if your odds of drawing a flush is lets say 30% and you are getting 4-1 ( 20%. it becomes 5-1 instead after BEP is included {got the BEP from Phil gordons LB]) it is usually correct to call right ? because your drawing % is greater then the pot odds

[/ QUOTE ]
If you are getting pot odds of 4-1, that means there's 4 times as much money in the pot as you need to put in to call. If there are 4 units in the pot and you call 1 unit, there are now 5 units in the pot. The 1 unit you put in is now 1 out of the 5 units in the pot. 1/5 is 20%. It doesn't "become" 5-1. 5-1 would mean 1/6, or about 17%.

BEP is "break even percentage", right? Since you are getting pot odds of 4-1, to break even, you need to have a better than 20% chance to improve. That means the odds have to be no worse than 4-1 against you (again, 4-1 means you have a 20% chance to improve). Clearly if your odds to improve are 30%, that is good enough to call.

[ QUOTE ]
Am I getting this right ??? I was wondering if you more veteran pot odds savvy people could see if this is right i think I have a good understanding about the basics of pot odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are (understandably) still a little confused, but getting there. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]