Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2007, 04:14 AM

Default Hi/Lo passive low straight

Seat 7 is the biggest regular donk in this game.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (6.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises

5th Street - (6.35 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (9.35 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

River - (12.35 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___calls

Total pot: (15.35 BB)

ETA: I smoothcalled fifth fully expecting him to raise again if he had trips, and possibly even with two pair.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Hi/Lo passive low straight

Yeah this is a pretty easy fold on 3rd but jam 5th because I think we have to give seat 7 credit for something involving a Q in the hole no matter how retarded he is.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:21 AM

Interesting hand. My gut tells me to hate the passivity with which you played it (mostly because Seat 1 will often be willing to go to war and end up with aces up/no low at showdown), but with the donk positioned after you throughout the hand I can see keeping him in. I'd want to get at least one raise in *minimum* (and preferably as many as possible) in the hand - 6th looks like a good place - let the donk overcall with his lousy low draw and 4flush.

Upon further review, I've decided that I like playing this fast much better. The small percentage of the time you'll avoid splitting the pot by knocking out the donk makes my gut tell me jam it and be damned. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2007, 11:28 AM

Yeah, I'm folding this hand on 3rd without giving it a second thought, as well. A five raises in early position and then an Ace reraises; most typical scenerio is one of them has a low draw and the other has some sort of a high hand, or maybe both of them are playing/raising with low draws and you're sitting there with a bad eight calling two cold bets. And your straight draw is a double gutter and the odds of hitting a straight like that are pretty slim.

What sucks in these situaions is that, if you and just one of the other players hits good on 4th, how confident are you really going to feel in this spot...?

I will only play your type of hand in the right spots (ie; if a high doorcard raises or if I'm acting in late position and are opening the betting, or if I'm the only low in the hand, then the call looks enticing to me, otherwise this hand will ususally play poorly).

As played, though, I am raising 5th. I don't mind if the other player folds (if he calls, good--and, he actually MIGHT call due to how he proceeded with his hand on 4th after catching what appears to be a brick). Plus, if the A56 player actually holds a high hand or has a pair+low draw combo, then you are charging him/them the max while gaining full value for your hand and your efforts. Absolute raise.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:33 AM

I guess I need to be more specific and say that Seat 7 virtually never has a three-low here.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:12 PM

I don't know seat 7 but I still think I would fold 3rd. As played, I might fold 4th as two of the 5s are dead. Even if you are sure seat 7 has no 3 low, seat 1 certainly might which means you could be way behind both ways and drawing nearly only for the freak inside straight that you caught.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:18 PM

yeah this is an easy fold on third etc. and a raise on fifth. but okay, you didn't raise fifth. for the love of God, raise sixth - he only needs one club to "have to" call 4 bets.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:07 PM

Interesting hand. You're saying that you think that it's highly likely that you have the only three-card low on third, right? I think that the extra $17 blows your implied odds enough that I'd lean towards mucking.

I'm also not that crazy about the call on fourth. If seat 1 would make it two bets on third with a three-card wheel, you're in deep doo-doo. If he has Aces and a three-card low, it's not like you're in great shape.

Nice catch on fifth. I think the smooth-call is fine, but by sixth, I think you should be raising. The donk should be folding a lot of high hands on fifth, but of course he's a donk. So if he's calling at all, maybe he'll call multiple bets. Only one way to find out. Do you feel that his hand is sufficiently defined that he'll call all streets for one bet, but he'll fold to a raise?
Old 07-28-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're saying that you think that it's highly likely that you have the only three-card low on third, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. Plus Seat 7 will go nuts with weirdo high hands against low boards, so my implied odds aren't hurt so much. I'm fairly confident that third is unorthodox but OK.

I agree with you and Adanthar that not raising sixth was a pretty big mistake. I'm not playing very well in general, and could probably use a couple of days off.