Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Hi/Lo (4A)4

When I see this hand on third and it's folded to me in this position, my thought is not 'hey, let's see fourth'. It's 'hey, free money'.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A few questions about third street:

Do you want to play this hand multi-way or heads up?

Of the seven other door cards you see, how many are your outs?

How do you want this hand to play out?

(I think there are places where (Ac4s)4c is playable, like when you can get it heads up against a big pair, but I can't see a way to make money from it here.)

[/ QUOTE ]

If you get heads up with a high hand it plays out very well as about 50/50 equity wise, with some built in deception as your opponent will assume you're on a low draw.

If you get heads up with a low hand you're fine, actually a small favorite in most cases I believe. You can often peel fourth if he catches low, depending on pot size and just how well he caught. (If you caught low too you can always peel.)

Against 2 low hands it plays ok except when both catch low on 4th.

But you would definitely prefer heads up.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:23 PM

Raise third and fifth. No fancy reasons, you just have the best hand or best equity a ton.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A few questions about third street:

[/ QUOTE ]

Baby pairs with a strong side card (as in this hand) can be profitable against the right opponent, but I would only want this kind of hand for HU play. Reason being, if you go up against 2 opponents and one has a big pair and the other a low draw...you're already starting out in No-Mans-Land because your high hand at the moment is weak, and you only have 2 low cards to start out with unlike your opponent who has 3.

I will play this kind of hand if I can be the aggressor. I HATE this hand against an aggro opponent because against these types, your starting hands should be MUCH stronger.

And, playing this hand against an opponent who doesn't cling on to all of his hands for dear life every single hand, is the type of player that I'm looking to play this hand against. Also, having respect from the players in the game will make this easier to play and to buy more small pots when your opponent bricks and doesn't peel.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really in any order:

I'd like to pick up the antes.
I'd like to play HU against the bringin and pick up the pot early.
I'd like to play HU against a three-low and pick up the pot early.
I'd like to play against one or more high hands, catch a brick-looking four, and have them pay me off.

Some of these favor completing over limping, but overall they favor keeping the pot small, which is why I've been trying out limping in situations like this. I'm thinking I've gone too far with it.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise third and fifth. No fancy reasons, you just have the best hand or best equity a ton.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are we a favorite against on fifth? Not a made 86 or better low, and we're only 51.5% against an 87 that isn't a heart draw. Not a four-low with a pair of eights. Not a four-low with a heart draw, even 87. Not a low pocket pair, except the other fours. Are we basically hoping he paired threes or has something like split deuces or buried jacks and is betting fifth with them anyway?
Old 07-27-2007, 01:41 AM

Am I the only one who folds this on third in a low-ante game with an Ace gone and a couple of cards in the play zone behind me?

2461 is showing 456, and I'll guess that opponent perceives him as being a good player. Is he really betting the river with a hand that allows 2461 to escape more than ~25% of the time? I mean, we're not scooping this pot, right?
Old 07-27-2007, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who folds this on third in a low-ante game with an Ace gone and a couple of cards in the play zone behind me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I fold it. A-2-2-3 gone; 7-8 gone; even the J is a club. If I play this, I wast to see a K behind me and raise it into him hoping for a re-raise, then out-play him heads-up on 4th or 5th.

Like you say, it's a small pot. The hand may have some monte-carlo equity, but it's difficult to play here.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2461 is showing 456, and I'll guess that opponent perceives him as being a good player. Is he really betting the river with a hand that allows 2461 to escape more than ~25% of the time? I mean, we're not scooping this pot, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Andy -- isn't this a direct result of the 5th and 6th street action? I would assume he doesn't bet the river if we raise 5th and bet 6th. And i think those decisions - which really aren't clear to me - are the important ones.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your not the only one.