Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2007, 11:42 AM

Default Villain bets into my AK...sigh!

Villain is 28/6/6 over 36 hands for what it's worth, hasnīt been out of line or anything.

My image should be fairly tight.

It always puzzles me when someone bets into me on these flop and I go ZOMG it's a set, but might also be a weaker ace. So I opt to call down to either lose the least or gain the most. Perhaps raising the flop is still better, however, I feel this line maximizes EV the most against villain's likely holdings.

On the river, is he really betting AQ/AJ there again? I think not, but since my hand is so underrepresented, do I still have to make the crying call getting 3-1?

Full Tilt Poker
$1/$2 No Limit Hold'em Ring Game
5 Players
LegoPoker Hand Converter

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
Hero (CO): $220
BTN: $55.20
SB: $240.6
BB: $256
UTG: $154.40

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($3, 5 players)
UTG calls $2, <font color="red">Hero raises to $9</font>, BTN folds, SB calls $8, BB folds, UTG folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($22, 2 players)
<font color="red">SB bets $16</font>, Hero calls $16

<font color="black">Turn:</font> 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] ($54, 2 players)
<font color="red">SB bets $33</font>, Hero calls $33

<font color="black">River:</font> 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] ($120, 2 players)
<font color="red">SB bets $66</font>, Hero ??
Old 02-05-2007, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Villain bets into my AK...sigh!

I raise the flop because of the flush draw.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:51 AM

as played easy river call

im raising flop..obv that changes things a bit
Old 02-05-2007, 11:52 AM

River is closer to a value raise than a fold

I would raise the flop because of the plethora of draws and many weaker hands call
Old 02-05-2007, 11:53 AM

raise the flop.

as played river is proabbly a fold. 3 barell bluffs in general arent very common,adn if he was bluffing hes not expecting you to fold to that small bet. a weaker A doesnt usually bet all 3 streets. would be more likely to ch/call river.
also structured bets like that (16-&gt;33-&gt;66) are almost always monsters wanting to get paid off by TP or overpair.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:56 AM

Meh, it's fine, and on all streets. He could be doing this with a busted flush draw sensing weakness on your behalf; his aggro factor is high enough and that wouldn't be "out of line." He might be doing this with AQ, sure, he doesn't want to get blown off the hand and he feels he has equity off of AJ or even KK. The 2nd four helps you as you can more realistically eliminate 44 from his range. 22 you can eliminate too, so you're really only worried about 77 here. Or maybe AA, but you have one of the As, so once again, a little less probable.

If you felt confident about his calling/folding tendencies to narrow his range to AQ or AJ, you could try repopping on the River, as he's already built a pot to feel committed with AQ, AJ, etc., and may feel like you missed your flush draw (as you played it). So that has potentially more value, but with more information (I feel).

Edit: What makes calling &gt; reraising here is, as cs points out, the structured betting here, which indicates strength. However, I think the possibility of such betting with AQ/AJ/perhaps a flush draw on this particular board (an A with the rest being lows and no connectors) makes calling +EV and I don't think you can fold.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:58 AM

smells like 77 or AK, id like to raise the flop here and see if you get three bet or donk bet.

if you are really timid, you can check the turn after he calls the flop raise.

with that sort of line, i would think the river helps us. (AQ, AJs.. maybe)
Old 02-05-2007, 12:05 PM

I like the way you played this hand, its gets the most value out of weaker aces and keeps the pot size down a bit, wich is good here.

River is an easy call, would have been a bit harder if he had bet bigger.

To people saying raise the river, i think that is rather stupid since we got zero reads. Most people will probebly not call a raise with worse hands.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:11 PM

your line is good, and this is not a crying call at all

as someone else said, closer to value raise.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:13 PM

i'd be looking for a value shove