Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2006, 04:59 PM

Default HOPE!!!!!!

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_news/article/3348

Hope is in the air.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:09 PM

Default Re: HOPE!!!!!!

Go Antigua...kick our asses.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:11 PM

So according to this article, even if the U.S. is ruled against, the worst thing that can happen to them is to have sanctions placed on them by Antigua?

Yawn
Old 10-19-2006, 05:13 PM

I think it is safe to say the US couldn't care less about WTO rulings or sanctions by Antigua.

Perhaps it might make a difference in a case of extradition where a country might not extradite due to this crap...but I doubt it.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:13 PM

Yea but hopefully the larger nations will pressure us to comply as well.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea but hopefully the larger nations will pressure us to comply as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, this will cost them billions in trade and as we all know, $$$ rules.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:15 PM

Default Really ? Is that how the world works ?

"According to Antigua’s legal advisor Mark Mendelson"

Not a good sign when the reporter cannot get his source's name spelled correctly. The guy's last name is Mendel, not Mendelson.

In any event, anyone who thinks that the EU, Japan and China are going to see through a trade war with the US on behalf of Antigua on an Internet gaming issue has no clue about the world we live in.

There may be some posturing, while these three big boys swing an Antigua-stick toward the US for some purpose of their own. However, you can bank on that third-party support being dropped as soon as some deal is reached on bilateral matters of dispute.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So according to this article, even if the U.S. is ruled against, the worst thing that can happen to them is to have sanctions placed on them by Antigua?

Yawn

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you have it all wrong. GW Bush will wake up after the WTO rules against us and say:
[ QUOTE ]

"I'm really concerned that the rest of the world views the US as a bully. And besides, we gave our word as nation not to violate WTO rules and now impartial judges have ruled we've done just that. This situation is untenable. I will ask the Congress to overturn that gambling ban. Besides, I'm pretty good at 2-7 TD and it's almost never spread live. A guy needs to do something after retirement."

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-19-2006, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yawn

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you have it all wrong. GW Bush will wake up after the WTO rules against us and say:
[ QUOTE ]

"I'm really concerned that the rest of the world views the US as a bully. And besides, we gave our word as nation not to violate WTO rules and now impartial judges have ruled we've done just that. This situation is untenable. I will ask the Congress to overturn that gambling ban. Besides, I'm pretty good at 2-7 TD and it's almost never spread live. A guy needs to do something after retirement."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The point of WTO sanctions isn't that you say, "Gee, I guess we are wrong" and change out of a desire to do right. You change because they impose meaningful, painful sanctions. Now, Antigua simply lacks the power to hurt us, but the EC could. That's really where the hope lies.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:37 PM

It also provides a legal argument against the UIGEA in court. Federal laws are not supposed to violate international treaties. Liberals are already planning to challenge the new terrorist tribuanl and interrogation law on the grounds that it violates the Geneva Convention.