Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2006, 08:11 PM

Default Got criticized by cts for this one

cts (MUCKEM) is super aggressive and has an extremly wide opening range, esp since UTG was a total donk. I figured that he has to think it's a good flop to c-bet, plus my check-raise should make him lay down a weak T/88/99. I'm obv screwed if he has an overpair, but I was done with the hand if called anyway.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $5/$10
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $552.75
CO: $1000
Button: $1904
SB: $1164.50
Hero: $1651.75

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $45</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($140, 3 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $90</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $250</font>...

Your thoughts?

Kirk

PS. Try not to attempt and "guess" results, then post from that. You'll be wrong anyway.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Got criticized by cts for this one

You reraised he pushed you called he lost. the end?
Old 11-16-2006, 08:28 PM

i'd raise more if you're going to do it. occasionally plays like this are fine.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:31 PM

Being that Villian is super aggro, and probably realizes it(meaning that he knows you view him that way) then a check-raise by you on flop might actually appear to him as a sign of partial weakness. I mean most people nowadays advocate leadin into aggro raiser with big hand and/or check callin...check/raising theoretically usually indicates either a complete bluff. or perhaps hand with some sort of weakness that you want to take pot down quickly with. unless of course you are a donk, or use it purposely with strength to mix it up a bit.

The question you have to ask yourself would you have check-raised here with a set? if the answer is no, then you are allowing him to put you on a hand that he can get you off of.

Perhaps a better line to indicate strength would be to lead out, and if he raises as most aggro do, come back and 3-bet him strong. he will almost certainly or alteast should let go of stronger hands than you. any thoughts?
Old 11-16-2006, 08:34 PM

With a donkey UTG player in between us and a drawy board, it is unlikely you would do this with anything other than a bluff (which 77 is obviously).
Old 11-16-2006, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You reraised he pushed you called he lost. the end?

[/ QUOTE ]
learn to read HHs
Old 11-16-2006, 08:37 PM

i'm not sure how many better hands fold to this raise. only a few slightly higher pairs, maybe (and even they might stick around on this flop, which is quite prone to being semibluffed). also, many draws may call, and have the advantage of position and your hand being too weak to continue betting safely.

of course, you'll chase off naked overcards or weak draws or underpairs much of the time, but you're already ahead of them. not to say that c/c is necessarily the best play either.

basically, i think you're putting too much money in here in a slim raising situation, and most of his draws that call will win, whether by getting there or by pushing you off later in the hand.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With a donkey UTG player in between us and a drawy board, it is unlikely you would do this with anything other than a bluff (which 77 is obviously).

[/ QUOTE ]

oops, i didn't even notice the other guy. i retract my earlier statement.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:55 PM

What exactly is your goal with this checkraise? As in, what are you trying to make fold/call/raise? What will he put you on, etc?

It's one of those spots where it seems like he'll fold the worst hand or push/call a better hand. He also might push a worse hand. Either way, wtf do you do if he doesnt fold? Is this a pure bluff?

Meh?
Old 11-16-2006, 08:59 PM

you c/red he called or pushed and you folded? i dont even know. like others i hate the c/r though, leading or c/c is way better.