Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 09:27 PM

Default 200NL: Ew, just ew.

200NL NLHE FR online

Hero ($181) is MP with Ad-As

Folded to Hero, Hero raises to $8, player to my left ($209.50) calls, button ($326) calls, everyone else folds

Flop 8s-9d-4d (Pot: $27)
Hero checks, MP player checks, button checks

Turn 8s-9d-4d-2c (Pot: $27)
Hero bets $20, MP player minraises to $40, button minreraises to $60, Hero??

Notes: I know I'm going to get flamed for my flop check. I had a very good read on the button from previous play. He would coldcall me from LP with big pretty cards and small-medium PP's. So basically he's either flopped a set here and has me crushed or he's missed completely. Of course, he could have the flush draw, and of course I should bet if he does, but I did have the Ad here as well so I do have a redraw if it hits. The other player in the hand was a crazy LAGtard who I had seen make a number of stupid plays. So I know I'm going to get slammed for this, but I checked the flop for 3 reasons: I don't want this pot to swell up huge for me OOP when I just have a vulnerable overpair that I can easily stack off with, I wanted to mix up my play a little bit, and it really is a WA/WB unless I'm up against a flush draw (which I acknowledge is a mistake to check then). The LAGtard can also wake up with some random 7-6 here, but I was pretty sure he would bet that here and the fact that he checked the flop made me feel that he didn't have much.

Anyways, the events of the turn were very very unexpected for me. I was really caught off-guard here and I was very confused here. This may be in part because I played the AA weird on the flop and didn't make the standard bet there. Still, this turn card is pretty much a blank as any card in the deck (unless I'm up against 22 of course hehe) so I don't think the situation would've been all that different had I bet the flop. In fact, I think my turnbet here looks even weaker than a flop lead so I think their ranges are even weaker here. Still, to be honest, I wasn't loving the situation here. Thoughts?
Old 11-21-2007, 09:29 PM

Default Re: 200NL: Ew, just ew.

Bet the flop. Your reasoning for not betting the flop is pretty poor.

As played muck the turn.