Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 10:08 PM

Default tourney mind set

I have posted on here before about deciding to win and then wining tourneys (with many scoffers and nay Sayers).
This post is a bit of a continuation of them. Anyway, another key mind set for me when in a tourney is to be vigilant with my desire to win. Not just gee I hope I win, but I ask myself on every round of every hand "will this play I’m considering win more often then not and by how much, and is it worth the risk?" This thinking comes to me easer when I have pre decided to win. In other words I decide before the game and remind myself on all decisions to make the best play and if it’s worth it.
This pre deciding is not limited to poker; it’s the very thing we teach our kids about drugs, steeling, morals, ECT. Next time you play a tourney try my method and please let me know about your results.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:53 PM

Default Re: tourney mind set

Why would anyone play if they didn't want to win [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2007, 12:11 PM

Hey, great reply.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would anyone play if they didn't want to win [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
To make it to the cash with a chipstack of 10 chips and then bust out first after the bubble to show a profit of anywhere from 20-100%?
Old 07-04-2007, 04:57 PM

Good Idea !!!!! I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes !!!
Old 07-04-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good Idea !!!!! I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes !!!

[/ QUOTE ]
With your sarcasm and my tongue-in-cheek, we might make a pretty good team. Alas, I don't work with other comedians.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:22 PM

It is not about "OK I will play to win" from the start. Everyone does that. The real trick is to stay focused like that throughout the tournament, which is difficult given the tricks, traps, minefields, bad beats, bad calls, and everything that sends a person into the wrong state of mind. It is difficult having that state of mind getting busted by a case card and having your chip stack down to 1/3 of where it was. Most people at that point don't have that "play to win" mindset. Most have a revenge mindset, getting even, playing to just survive to next level, and so on and so forth.

THE HUN.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:20 PM

Agreed, that why it’s so important to "pre decide". If you pre decide something it becomes part of who you are, and who you are influences what you do. That’s why it’s so powerful to use this mind set. Everyone wants to win, but like you said they get side tracked by bad beats, traps, mistakes, ECT. Example, most people don't want to have a bad marriage, yet 50% of them fail. I am sure 100% of them wanted it to work. If they just made a few pre decisions about how they would handle hard times, temptations, disagreements, ECT, they would make it.

I guess it’s a harder concept to explain than I thought. There is a mind set to get in and stay in for all things, including poker. I was just hoping to create some dialog about it.

Ty for a real reply thehun69
Old 07-06-2007, 10:31 PM

To further murky up this thread, let's throw in the concept of playing in the zone.

Paradoxically, you can't "will" yourself into the zone, you just have to let it happen.

So you can decide to win, but the rest has to happen without force...
Old 07-07-2007, 05:16 AM

what i find that helps is to not get riled up physically or emotionally if i win a big pot or lose a big pot. Say i lose half my stack with AA v KQ all-in preflop. I don't get up and walk around or yell out 'F*&%!' I just sit there as calm as possible and move on to the next hand. Conversely if i catch a one-outer to stay alive I don't go 'YES!' or jump out of my chair. You really need to stay in the moment, and that moment can be hours long.