Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Push with 7's
Yes (This is the hand to double up) 0 0%
No (Wait for a better spot) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2007, 08:10 PM

Default Re: TV: What are you watching? 6/27

Just watching last night's now.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:23 PM

Does Wookie Think You Can Dance, 6/27 and 6/28

Up first is Sarah and the Jesus doing Krumping. That routine didn't seem as difficult as some of the other hip hop routines that have fallen under the broad umbrella of hip hop. I think the Jesus came up big here. I liked his rhythm a lot better than Sarah's. I liked his character better, too.

Second are Cedric and the girl I called Joss Stone, but I think "Save the Cheerleader, Save the Dance Competition" (STCSTDC) suits her better. They're doing a contemporary routine. Mia's first contemporary routine was great, so I'm looking forward to this. I hate to say it, but I didn't like that routine one bit. What was Cedric doing sitting on his ass for so much of it? I also don't think his hands fit this routine at all, and a lot of his unique hip hop motions were out of place. I didn't like how a lot of the movement in this piece didn't fit a whole lot of the rhythm of the music. That's one of my biggest beefs with contemporary dance. Too often it seems like the dancers are moving at arbitrary times, and even if the movement is expressive, I enjoy the timing and the rhythm that's essential in other styles. I will compliment Cedric on taking his knocks gracefully.

Third are Lacey and the Last of the Mohicans. They've been solid both weeks, and this week they get Quickstep. This is a tough style of dance, so it'll be a real test for them. They were great. LotM was a little careless about his heels and toes, and his frame did creep in a hair in a few spots, but I'd call that too nitpicky if the level of competition here wasn't so high. This has been the best of the first three dances.

Fourth are Anya and Danny, who've also been outstanding. Anya hasn't really gotten out of her element yet, so I'm curious how she'll fare in this hip hop. Oh, Danny's out of his element, too. This routine should really show what these two are made of. LOL @ Danny getting the best ending to a dance ever, although if I don't know if he's straight enough to enjoy it. This was a great routine. Danny's rhythm was sharper than Anya's, but they were both great. The choreography and musicality was sharp. The move that Mary commented on where he moved her booty back was indeed super hot.

Fifth are Dom and Fro Girl. This is a very tough week for ballroom. They get rumba. That and quickstep are almost certainly the two most difficult dances to perform well. Man, I may have a new favorite. That was close to absurdly awesome. I just wish the two of them got their hip action going bigger. Their partnering was outstanding in this dance. They looked perfect together rather than one partner standing out over the other. Nigel commented on their lines, and I solidly agree. The lines of their dancing were outstanding, something that all the dancers, men and women, struggle with on DwtS. Nicely done.

OK, I'm going to post this now so I don't risk losing this all. I'll post the last three next.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:30 PM

Default Re: TV: What are you watching? 6/28

<font color="Blue">What are you watching?</font>
Thursday June 28

8pm CBS - Pirate Master:
Loose Lips Sink Ships - Nessa believes she is targetted for elimination so she tries to buy the royal pardon. Another pirate is cut adrift. Pirate Master thread in EB . Some concerns about show ratings, and the show is moving to Tuesdays starting July 10th.

9pm FOX - So You Think You Can Dance:
2 of the remaining 16 are voted off.

10pm NBC - Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip: Series Finale
The series signs off for good as Matt and Harriet decide to try again.

Worth Noting...

8pm FOX - Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader?:
A game show testing how much contestants have forgotten since grade school.

8pm PBS - International DanceSport World Championship:
World Ten Dance Championship in competitions showcasing Latin and standard disciplines.

9pm USA - The Starter Wife: Series Finale
The absorbing miniseries about a Hollywood woman scorned comes to a bittersweet conclusion.

10pm USA - Burn Notice: Debut
A spy becomes a PI in Miami after he is kicked out of the agency.

10pm BRAVO - Hey Paula: Debut
Paula Abdul in this new fly on the wall reality series.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:07 PM

Sixth are Lauren and Blonde Commodus doing tango. I'm scared for Blonde Commodus doing this one. His partnering was weak in week 1. We'll see. I think I was right. The shtick in this tango was hot, but BC's ballroom frame and connection were weak. Lauren was hot, but BC needs to work on his partnering. I also think they should have had more body contact. It's hard to think that something this solid should be in the bottom 3, but with as high as the caliber is in this competition, this should be.

Seventh come Jamie and Hok. They got jazz, so it's time to place your bets as to how many authentic jazz steps. I'll set the O/U line at 1.5. I should have taken the under. It was a beautiful routine, but I have no idea how that could be called jazz. Neither the music nor the movement were anything close to what I'd call jazz. Call it contemporary and I'd applaud, but I have to scratch my head a little that they called that jazz. In spite of that, I could still put this dance as my second favorite. Their skill was impressive, and they looked great together.

And closing out the night are Pasha and Jesse. I really like Pasha. I don't think he's the best guy, but I want to see him do well. They get cha cha, and I'm definitely stoked with how much ballroom is on this show. Pasha should be really strong here. Oh no! Well, I feel sorry for Jesse. Pasha was ridiculous, even dancing with the chunkasaur. That song will always have a special place. When I was doing ballroom in college, that song was the cha cha in the latin medly routine that our team won the collegiate formation nationals with. Pasha more than did my memory of that routine justice. He was in his element, and he was outstanding.

Let's see, not having seen the results show yet, my picks for the bottom 3 are Cedric and STCSTDC, Lauren and Blonde Commodus, and, hmm, I'd say Sarah and the Jesus. The other couples that might make the bottom 3 are Hok and Jamie and Pasha and Jesse.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:48 PM

OK, well I picked the first of the bottom 3. It's weird that they've mixed it up from going in chronological order to going into maximum drama order. OK, Sarah and the Jesus are in the bottom 3, too. I'm glad, because Pasha and Hok and Jamie do not deserve it at all.

Oh good! Not only is Jesse better, but she gets to dance! And wow, she was also ridiculous. She had the look and the rhythm. That was everything cha cha was suppose to be. My friends would joke that the 5 latin dances are the 5 stages of sex. Cha cha is flirtation. Samba is foreplay. Rumba is the main event. Paso doble is where you break out the fuzzy handcuffs and the leather. And jive? After-glow [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. There routine was beautifully flirtatious and sexy and fun. Great job, Jesse.

I'm shocked that Anya and Danny are in the bottom 3, but OTOH, I thought Cedric's personality on stage might have saved him. That's why I picked two dishonorable mention couples in case of the upset. Still, I didn't expect these two.

Hmm. My picks, not having seen the results yet, are that Sarah and the Jesus will be going. Unfortunately, my outside pick for the woman who's leaving is Anya.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:57 PM

Well, I picked the guy who was leaving, but not the girl. I guess I preferred Jesse's popping and locking style over Sarah's breaking, but that may be in part personal preference for the styles. I'm sorry Pasha is now going to get stuck with Sarah. She was definitely weaker in the couples rounds than Jesse was. Pasha will be more likely to be fighting for his life now than he was, and he's weaker in the solo rounds than he is in the couples rounds.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:11 PM

Outstanding. Thank you, Wookie. I enjoy your analysis each week.

[ QUOTE ]
Does Wookie Think You Can Dance, 6/27 and 6/28

Up first is Sarah and the Jesus doing Krumping. That routine didn't seem as difficult as some of the other hip hop routines that have fallen under the broad umbrella of hip hop. I think the Jesus came up big here. I liked his rhythm a lot better than Sarah's. I liked his character better, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could not get into krumping. The whole thing sounds silly. I guess it's very urban, I don't know. I'm a big Jesus fan. That boy can dance.

[ QUOTE ]

Second are Cedric and the girl I called Joss Stone, but I think "Save the Cheerleader, Save the Dance Competition" (STCSTDC) suits her better. They're doing a contemporary routine. Mia's first contemporary routine was great, so I'm looking forward to this. I hate to say it, but I didn't like that routine one bit. What was Cedric doing sitting on his ass for so much of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion the choreography let Cedric down. I thought it was kind of dumb and overly dramatic. I am really disappointed in Mia this time around. Still a Cedric fan [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

[ QUOTE ]

Third are Lacey and the Last of the Mohicans. They've been solid both weeks, and this week they get Quickstep. This is a tough style of dance, so it'll be a real test for them. They were great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree! What a cool treat to watch Lacey doing the quick step. To me they are so perfectly matched. (I think I have a thing for Kameron [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

[ QUOTE ]

LOL @ Danny getting the best ending to a dance ever, although if I don't know if he's straight enough to enjoy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey now. You suggesting he didn't enjoy that ending? What a great ending! Both are incredibly talented and yeah the booty back move was SUPER hot and I think THEY are on the Hot Tamale Train Baby! Oh yeah they are! [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

Fifth are Dom and Fro Girl...
That was close to absurdly awesome. I just wish the two of them got their hip action going bigger. Their partnering was outstanding in this dance. They looked perfect together rather than one partner standing out over the other. Nigel commented on their lines, and I solidly agree. The lines of their dancing were outstanding, something that all the dancers, men and women, struggle with on DwtS. Nicely done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, now I want to see their dance again. How is Dominic able to learn these dances so quickly having never had any training? The little Fro girl (Sabre?) is winning me over Wookie. She really is so perfect in all her moves. They make a great couple.

God, this year's group is ridiculous. I don't want to see any of them go [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. They have stepped it up and shown how they can master each new style.

lol at your name for goofy blonde dude. I can't even look at him now without cracking up over your nickname for him.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:23 PM

I haven't taken contemporary dance classes, but some of my friends did. A typical ratio was 18 women and 3 men, only one of whom was straight. I'm just guessing at Danny's sexual orientation from that limited experience. He doesn't convey as masculine an image as Dom or Cedric, though.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sixth are Lauren and Blonde Commodus doing tango. I'm scared for Blonde Commodus doing this one. His partnering was weak in week 1. We'll see. I think I was right. The shtick in this tango was hot, but BC's ballroom frame and connection were weak. Lauren was hot, but BC needs to work on his partnering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, this is what I was hoping for. I don't know anything about these dances so it's nice to hear your take. I think Lauren is a beautiful dancer and I also really like her face and smile. As much as you bash Commodus I have to confess that I sort of like the guy. If only he would stop grinning so much. Also, I noticed that his shoulders looked a little stiff or scrunched or something. But other than that I like how commanding and macho he looks when he dances. He attacks the stage. Don't you think Commodus is a commanding presence?

[ QUOTE ]

Seventh come Jamie and Hok....
Call it contemporary and I'd applaud, but I have to scratch my head a little that they called that jazz. In spite of that, I could still put this dance as my second favorite. Their skill was impressive, and they looked great together.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering if the hummingbird dance had a lot of jazz "elements" or something in it. All I know is that it was really bizarre and totally spellbinding. I loved it and I think they are just wonderful. Count me in the Hok fan club.

[ QUOTE ]

Pasha was ridiculous, even dancing with the chunkasaur. That song will always have a special place. When I was doing ballroom in college, that song was the cha cha in the latin medly routine that our team won the collegiate formation nationals with. Pasha more than did my memory of that routine justice. He was in his element, and he was outstanding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Pasha. (And what a cute name!) But god, the last thing I wanted to see was him making love to a chunkasaur. Holy crap that was unintentionally funny. geez. Did you hear what Debbie Allen said? Something about give him an award for great acting [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. She even called his partner Bette Midler (or did I imagine that?)

My picks for the bottom three were Cedric and the cheerleader (just not feeling her, dawg), Jesus and Sara, and Commodus and Lauren. Of that group I was certain the ones to leave would be Commodus and Sara or Commodus and Lauren. I felt Jessie did a great Cha Cha and was sure she would be granted a reprieve. I never dreamed Danny and Anya would be in the bottom 3. (America is too sentimental). I am heartbroken for Jesus. What a humble guy.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My friends would joke that the 5 latin dances are the 5 stages of sex. Cha cha is flirtation. Samba is foreplay. Rumba is the main event. Paso doble is where you break out the fuzzy handcuffs and the leather. And jive? After-glow [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to see MrWookie doing demonstrations of these dances! Post a link of you doing the Cha Cha, MrWookie.